Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do you justify your purchases?

Most of us are on tight budgets - I know I certainly wish there was more in the bank account for photography gear and gadgets after all the household bills are taken care off. Then again, we need to spoil ourselves once in a while don't we?

How does everyone justify their spending on gadgets, photography equipment and the like? For those who earn a living from photography, it would be easier to pass off. For the others, do you just put it down to an expensive hobby (everyone needs their toys in one form or another, right?), or treat yourself once in a while? Do you just splure and try not to think too much about it? Big Grin Do you actively save up for a goal or do you buy on impulse? Or do you try and find a worthy reason that "needs" new gear (e.g. upcoming europe trip for me) and justify it that way?

I usually have to save up for any new equipment so its a long drawn out process of reviewing the kit during to make sure I'm spending my pennies on the correct item

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

When I bought my first lot of real gear we had just sold our house and had some equity left. My wife and I discussed it at length and I ended up sinking about $12,000Au into the kit. My wife suggested that I do some portraits of our friends to make a little bit on the side towards the gear cost. That is when I thought about doing weddings. The funny thing is that I have only done about three portrait shoots Smile

But it was a really good decision in the end and the wedding work well and truely pays for all the equiment. Maybe try and ask a pro if you can shoot as a second and build up a portfolio so that you can shoot a wedding or two.

I spent 8 months deciding how to spend that first amount Wink

Because you get weddings booked so far in advance you know how much money is going to come in for the year and you can plan purchases accordingly.

Canon stuff.

Afraid to say I rarely justify it.... if I want it I find a way to afford it.

The only thing I backed out of was the decision to buy a 5D...just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I'm with Craig on this one. If the gear isn't really, really expensive, I spend more time selecting *which* gear to buy than on rationalizing it. One of the few questionable benefits of being older and having worked for quite awhile, I suppose...

I class it as entertainment money. I dont frequent cinemas/bingo halls/shows. Don't drink, only a little at home or with a meal. Walk a little, ride in the car a little. Fly kites on summer weekends and use a tent.
But I enjoy different hobbies. Deafness put paid to flying and the band. So I gotta do something.

Getting too old and ugly for women. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for sharing everyone - very insightful.

It's funny how personally, even though I might save up and put money aside for "entertainment", I still find it hard to justify the purchase... Big Grin

Usually I give myself a little peace of mind if I can sell off some old gear, or some other gadget so it helps to pay for the new investment. My father-in-law actually has a saying, which he lives by - when you get something new, toss something out, to even it out. Wise words, methinks... Big Grin

Incidentally, I'm thinking of selling off my D50 and lenses to upgrade to a D80 + 18-135mm lens... and maybe eventually a 18-200 VR... Smile

I couldn't call buying camera gear an inversion, but still the money is not totally lost as if you spend your money in some other hobby... I think.

G has spent some quite money in his painting hobby now, papers, colors, brushes and all that, if he decided he wouldn't like to paint anymore, all that money would be lost, you can't see all those things already used. With the camera gear is quite different because you still can sell it and get some money back.

Still, I support his painting hobby, since it makes him happy, and there isn't anything better than having a happy man at home.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

shuttertalk Wrote:Incidentally, I'm thinking of selling off my D50 and lenses to upgrade to a D80 + 18-135mm lens... and maybe eventually a 18-200 VR... Smile
Good idea - save a few more bucks and buy the 18-200 VR. You will find it never leaves your camera.

I can't properly justify the money I've spent on gear
but I feel good when I take a nice photograph
or when someone is happy with a photograph I've taken... uh! happy!

I've reached the age after many years of working of not feeling quilty about spending money on myself. That was until this morning when I visited the dentist and found out the repair work on a bridge is going to cost nearly $5,000. Rolleyes

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Ouch... that must hurt the hip pocket somewhat.. Sad

I suppose though, you can't use a Canon 5D to chew your food for you... Smile

I don't try and justify it ever.

I never tell the wife.

If she asks "Is that new?"

I just reply "What? This old thing?"

It's the same conversation in reverse when I think she's wearing new clothes.

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

TheBishopOfSligo Wrote:I just reply "What? This old thing?"

It's the same conversation in reverse when I think she's wearing new clothes.
ROFL Smile

I'm very lucky in that my wife doesn't mind my camera puchases... in the same way i don't mind the large number of empty shoe boxes i carry out to the trash on a monthly basis!

Pat Wrote:That was until this morning when I visited the dentist and found out the repair work on a bridge is going to cost nearly $5,000. Rolleyes
That's cheap for the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

At the moment it feels as if I have the Sydney Harbour Bridge in my mouth. Its sure going to put a dent in my spending money for the next 12 months! and goodbye to my plans to buy the 10-22mm.

Big Grin this is me, toothless but smiling

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

On a similar vein.... how to time your gadget purchases:
http://www.rewardprograms.org/thefreegee...guide.html