Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do you rate your Food Photography?
Question 

Is there any one have any idea how to rate a food photography? Is it per layout, per menu, per setup or per set? Huh

Really appreciate it to know how to do it right.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

I have not done food photography professionally, but it appears that many people do a per day rate for the businesses. Many businesses charge anywhere from $500-$1000 per day depending on a number of factors. The factors can include your expertise level, the type of service you are providing, as well as does it include touch ups. Also, the area you are doing business may affect how much you can charge and still gain some business - although you don't want to "give" your work away. A smaller home town may not bring in as much as a bigger city.

Looking forward to reading other's responses to this as well!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thank you Barbara. We have the same thinking, I actually did that but saw saw more on cons.

Before, I charge up my rate on daily basis but I see a downside on it. Let say I charge up $800 base on my expertise level for a day of food photography and it takes me to shoot more than 50 set ups of different of lighting for a different set of variation of sushi. Disadvantage is they tried to fit all 50 sushi to be shoot in a day and its really very tiring.

Or let say I have to shoot a 2-7 sets of sushi for $800 and will take only half of the day. For me this is more on the photographer side of advantage not on the client. There will be a client willing to pay for this or more than this but still have bias on both side on variations.

Oh I forgot to mention that other expenses like ingredients used for food, food stylist, used of your kitchen etc shoulder by client. The rate we are talking about is for the food photography itself, But I would welcome any comments, idea, suggestions that might go all of the expense doing the food photography.

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

(Jun 25, 2013, 17:14)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Before, I charge up my rate on daily basis but I see a downside on it. Let say I charge up $800 base on my expertise level for a day of food photography and it takes me to shoot more than 50 set ups of different of lighting for a different set of variation of sushi. Disadvantage is they tried to fit all 50 sushi to be shoot in a day and its really very tiring.

I don't feel this is fair at all. It would be good to make sure they know their limits - within common sense, at least - if you get everything squeezed in the same day that's not good for either quality or stress.

(Jun 26, 2013, 01:00)kNox Wrote:  
(Jun 25, 2013, 17:14)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Before, I charge up my rate on daily basis but I see a downside on it. Let say I charge up $800 base on my expertise level for a day of food photography and it takes me to shoot more than 50 set ups of different of lighting for a different set of variation of sushi. Disadvantage is they tried to fit all 50 sushi to be shoot in a day and its really very tiring.

I don't feel this is fair at all. It would be good to make sure they know their limits - within common sense, at least - if you get everything squeezed in the same day that's not good for either quality or stress.

Yeah I know. But It is my fault for it was not indicated any specific in the contract. I just feel like I was abused but no power to reject it since it is not in the contract. But then again its one of the lesson I got to take it by experience. Now I want to make things right. Hope someone out there could help us.

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

People are always trying to screw each other over, and ever in huge contracts between huge companies (or especially there, rather) they always try to take advantage of stuff that weren't clearly stipulated in the contract. I guess your best choice is to do the work and just mark it as a lesson learned. That way you don't burn any bridges, either. Sad

(Jun 25, 2013, 17:14)PhotoPlay Wrote:  ...
Before, I charge up my rate on daily basis but I see a downside on it. Let say I charge up $800 base on my expertise level for a day of food photography and it takes me to shoot more than 50 set ups of different of lighting for a different set of variation of sushi. Disadvantage is they tried to fit all 50 sushi to be shoot in a day and its really very tiring.

I guess we all had experiences like this one Undecided

Mine wasn't about food photography, but products for the sale coupons in the local store. Same story - daily fee, way too many products and working hours and quite a bitter feeling after the job was done.

My thoughts were going something like this - if I charge a daily fee, I should limit the number of products in the contract. Since it's not the same if I shoot oranges or child riding a bike it wouldn't be fair to have a same price for both, as one day I could shoot 100 fruits and vegetables and another only few bigger things with living models. Also, it didn't feel right to charge per photo, as one would take half of the day and another only few minutes.

At the end we changed the price from daily to hourly and all came out quite well for both sides.

(Jun 26, 2013, 07:26)Korry Wrote:  At the end we changed the price from daily to hourly and all came out quite well for both sides.

Perfect solution right here, I think. Smile

I'm a little lost when it comes to hourly charging rate. I want to know your basis and how you come up for such a rate for every hour.

Would that be different per product to be shoot at or just same with any item?

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

It was basically a daily rate divided into the 8 hours and it was the same for any item. Maybe that wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but I'm trying to charge my time and skills and not each photo I make, so I don't actually care if I'll shoot 20 fruit baskets in one hour or if I'll spend one hour trying to shoot a kid on the bike. I just don't like pushing two days in one just because it is possible.

(Jul 4, 2013, 02:23)Korry Wrote:  It was basically a daily rate divided into the 8 hours and it was the same for any item. Maybe that wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but I'm trying to charge my time and skills and not each photo I make, so I don't actually care if I'll shoot 20 fruit baskets in one hour or if I'll spend one hour trying to shoot a kid on the bike. I just don't like pushing two days in one just because it is possible.

I think a fair rate for a fair days labor is all that is required.
Jon
Angel

(Jun 25, 2013, 08:51)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Is there any one have any idea how to rate a food photography? Is it per layout, per menu, per setup or per set? Huh

Really appreciate it to know how to do it right.

Food, still lifes for stores, whatever.
It's commercial photography.
Set an hourly rate that you can live with, and makes it worth doing.
And have a minimum, like $100/hr, 2 hour minimum, $150/hr after 6 or 8 or 10 hrs. Whatever keeps you feeling good about the work.
PLUS, all the expenses. Stylists, assistants, and expendables like food. And on fashion shoots, you can rent the equipment from yourself and charge that.

Undercharging has several drawbacks.

You lose money.

You make it hard for anyone else in the market to set reasonable rates.

Customers don't think of you as highly skilled.
As someone said a few days ago on another forum "Skilled photographers don't come cheap. Cheap Photographers don't come with skills"
If you've got the skills, then charge what you need to stay in business.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Here's 2 sources of advice for you

Food Styling by Delores Custer - it covers the whole business of food styling and photography. $75 new, I got mine second hand from Amazon

Food photography and lighting byTeri Campbell. - Lots of info here, as well.
Again, second hand from Amazon

They really are well worth reading

regards

F

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post