Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do you store your camera?

I've heard some pretty elaborate rituals for storing cameras between shoots - some people take off the lenses, put the bodies face down (so the dust doesn't settle on the sensor), clean off the lens caps, filters, etc.

Some people put their favourite / most used lens on, so that it's ready to go next time, some people just leave on what they were using previously.

What do you usually do between shoots? Share your tips!

Charge the batteries but just leave the camera in the little bag I use. I usually give the body a clean if I've been shooting at the beach. And every few months I'll give it a general clean down.

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

I turn mine off, and nothing much else.

If it's been a few days, or if I have big plans for the next day, I'll charge the battery. If I need any of the shots that are on the CF card, I'll download it and always put it back in the camera when I'm done.

In the six months that I've owned it, I haven't cleaned anything except for the UV filter, eyepiece, and the perpetual nose smudges on the LCD.

(What's dust?)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

hi

uuhmm i thought u might like to see this
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

extremely good shots that he has done...

http://www.naturfotograf.com/Fp_gall.html

take care

Geez, amazing how many lenses that guy has... he definitely has money to burn.

I leave my cameras in my camera bag, won't fit in with lenses on. If I have to change out the battery the dead one goes in my pocket, not the camera bag that way I remember to recharge it.

For the first few weeks I had my camera I'd take the lens off before putting it away - only because it fit the camera bag better that way Tongue
Now I just put it in the bag when I'm done.

I store my camera/lenses/equipment in a locker. (3 kids will do that)

Often clean my camera/lens after use so mostly i dont have a lens on it when its in the locker.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I keep a lens on the body, a polariser on the lens; wipe polariser glass. Check body(er, camera, not mine) for sand grains and the like. Keep in case with sachet of silica gel in a place not too cold or busy.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

My camera is most of the time out of the bag... It is in my desk or mounted in the tripod... the lens are all in my desk always... When I go out I just pick from the desk the lenses I will need and stuff them in the bag... I have always a lens mounted on the camera... You never know when a picture will pop up... The batteries are always ready and the card empty... When I see in my pictures some spots because of dirt... I clean the body with the compressor and mount a lense again...

My remote control is sometimes a problem... If it is not in my desk it will be probably in the pocket of the trousers or pullover I wore the day before. I hate that, specially in the mornings when I want to go out to take the sunrise... the time is passing and takes time to find it...

We bought last weekend a shelf.... drugstore like... with a lot of drawers... to have everything there... unfortunately, one of the boards of the body came wrong... We have sent a mail and they will deliver the right board in the next few days, I hope...
Then...I will "try" to keep everything there...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Good on you Irma...

I reckon if I had more lenses, I'd be like you! Big Grin

I've only got 2 lenses at the moment, so they both (and the body) fit in my camera bag. My 18-55 lens is the one I use the most, so that stays on. Oh and my camera body is facing down in the bag, so I guess all the dust particles fall off the sensor (I hope). Big Grin Big Grin

I've just kept everything in my Pack (Velocity9). Always ready to just pick up and go out the door. As Irma does, I keep the cards empty and batteries charged. I have had my studio dismantled for a long time but have recently set it up again and plan to leave it that way from now on. It does use up an entire room but hey, that's what it's for.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Like Irma and Peto... I keep my camera ready so I can just pick it up and start shooting. I always empty my cards at the end of the day, keep on top of my battery charging, have my general purpose lens on it (17-85 IS) and make sure its set to Av mode, 200 ISO, Single Shot AF, Auto WB, and any little suprises (like the self-timer) are switched off.
Whenever I take the battery or CF card out of the camera, I leave the little door on the camera open to remind me it's missing. I doubt a little bit of dust in the battery or CF compartment will contaminate the optics.
There's nothing worse than grabbing the camera in a hurry, shooting that UFO that's hovering in your backyard and *then* realising you didn't have the CF card inserted, it was set on Manual mode at 1/4000th, f/32 and 100 ISO with the self-timer set to ON.

I keep it in a Lowepro backpack with everything except the kit lens, battery charger and tripod in the bag. Its great because I can jump on my mountain bike and ride with all my gear on my back, making it easy to shoot around the lakes near where I live.

And as for cleaning, well if I know I've been out at the beach or other harsh environment or come into contact with fingerprints or other nasties then I'll clean it thoroughly, but otherwise I'll just inspect it, maybe give it a puff of air and put it away unless it looks like it needs a clean.
And for the record, I've cleaned my sensor once since owning the camera for 8 months, using the "$2 nylon artist's brush and canned air to statically charge the brstles" technique.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I use a 400 litre dry cabinet (a lovely present from my wifey) to store most of my collection. This was a necessary piece of equipment when living in tropical Singapore where the humidity is a big problem and the major cause of fungus on the optics and gear.

Now that I've moved to Perth, I find that I can keep my user camera and gear in my bag as the humidity hovers around the 40 - 50% mark most of the year. (This is the level of humidity maintained inside my dry cabinet) And the rest of the stuff stays in the cabinet.

I do remove the batteries from all my gear if they're staying in storage for a while.

film is kept in the fridge (not freezer!) for maximum life.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Yeah, my butter tray in the fridge currently has 28 rolls of Sensia 100 in it Big Grin

Humidy isn't really a problem here, it hovers in the 0-8% mark all summer and under twenty even in winter.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post