Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How long does an image sensor last?

How long does an image sensor last? Does it vary from camera to camera? I use a Nikon D2X

Years, probably. But it could depend on the number of sensor activations. I don't think the camera companies publish expected life for their sensors.

Some of them do, however, publish the expected life of their shutter mechanisms. If you shoot frequently, your shutter will wear out and need replacing long before the sensor dies. Some consumer-level DSLRs have shutters rated for 30-50,000 activations. Some pro-level DSLRs have shutters rated for 100-150,000 activations. That's quite a range! (Oh, and these are no different from the shutters in film cameras - more or less the same gear.)

slejhamer Wrote:Years, probably. But it could depend on the number of sensor activations. I don't think the camera companies publish expected life for their sensors.

Some of them do, however, publish the expected life of their shutter mechanisms. If you shoot frequently, your shutter will wear out and need replacing long before the sensor dies. Some consumer-level DSLRs have shutters rated for 30-50,000 activations. Some pro-level DSLRs have shutters rated for 100-150,000 activations. That's quite a range! (Oh, and these are no different from the shutters in film cameras - more or less the same gear.)
Not long is it, considering the number of extra shots you take with digital.
Um, I will have to slow down. Take less more quality. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I think digital camera sensor will last more longer than the shutter for DSLR. But if kind of point&shoot camera or prosumer, will not have problem with shutter mechanic.

At DSLR, some problem exist such as dirty sensor that make the picture become noisy because of dusk. But this is not big problem, little step could make it clean again with digital camera sensor cleaner.

Some information told, if you often shoot sun light especially at about 12.00pm (it's very hot and very bright), it will make the sensor become corrupt, maybe such a magnifier glass effect.

Hope this help.

does the sensor age, and start to degrade in performance as compared to when new?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 19, 2016, 07:59