Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many...

Was just curious as to how many photos do you share of the ones you take? I share only a small percentage really. I know there are lots worthy of sharing that are alright images but I seem to only share the ones I like most. I'm sure that if someone was to look through my files they would wonder why I don't post more of what I have.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Small percentage as well. Though I am gaining a greater appreciation for "snapshot photos" lately. I love the artistic and candids, but with a group like this, its nice to see some everyday shots that 'define' who we are and our daily routines etc.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I don't make that many prints, maybe one in 10 or 20 photos. I only make one copy of the prints. But I put photos on the internet, occassionally e-mailing or linking sites to my family and friends. I also make those slide shows which I put on my own web page and share links with a list of correspondents.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

For display and discussion in the forum, maybe 1 in several hundred? I almost never print photos.

My main website is an about-town standard-issue photoblog; I update it every two days or so and probably take 30-100+ photos in that time. Some days I can get several good photos out of a very few images; other days everything I look at is carp. (Stinky.) Call is a 1:50 ratio, or about 2%. Now, most of what I shoot is for my own entertainment, and not 'intended' for use.

My second site is for essays and event photography; the most recent event series saw 266 photos saved to disk and I used 7. I didn't count the files, but the most recent essay generated 870MB of files and resulted in 12 photos being used. Ironically, I take more to tell the story I want, but the standards for using individual photos are lower. (The story becomes more important, and each photo doesn't need to stand on its own.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I maybe share about 3 to 5% - almost all of that sharing is in this forum. I never print any photos unless I have a specific use for the print.

I post less than 5%, probably less on these forums, I tend to put them on my own website of course.

These days I find myself shooting more with competition in mind.

Of the images I take, only a small fraction passes the quality assurance controls. Most of these I share. Sometimes, if I have a set of similar pics, I share just one or two of them, at other times I share the whole series (as done today). I do not share all of my flower shots, mainly because I think flowers are not really much appreciated here.

Often I post pictures that are more like vacation shots and don't have any artistic value. I share these anyway because I think you people in other parts of the world might find it interesting to see plants, animals, flowers, buildings, people and so on from where I live. It sure is interesting for me to see pictures of places I've never been to. I wish there were more posts showing things of foreign cultures. Mind you, I love outstanding pieces of art, but sometimes it's quite nice to just see where and how someone else lives. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

I have three sites to share my pictures; here, flickr and my gallery.

I know that to post a picture here, it has to have a high quality. I like this because it has improved a lot my photography. However it constrains me from every day shots, because if I want to share what I saw this morning from my window, let's say a traffic jam of hens in the road in front of my home, and talk about differences from living in a big city and living in the contryside... the comment I will get will be oriented to critique the image ( the bad light, the unsharp subject and so on) even in the showcase, and that I know already, I just want to share my experience that day.

I share a lot of my picture in flickr, because there it is the opposite... and we talk about what I am showing them... costumes, traditions here, or in Mexico and so on...

I post in my gallery my personal pictures and self shots I have tried... it is just mainly to share with my family.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I share about 5/24 or something, but its usually on a different forum (one for photographer mums with bubs) so sometimes its for the 'ohh ahh' value rather than the pic itself. I try to post photos that I know aren't perfect, because I can learn from peoples comments. Although, most of the time when I post what I think is a 'good' photo, I get lots of comments about what I could've done better. But if I didn't want that, I wouldn't post them!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Being a former accountant I had to go back and crunch some numbers.....

So far this year I have posted 59 pictures to the web
I have stored on my computer 1038 different shots I have taken and bothered to save.

So I have shared 5.68%.

Good points that you brought up Irma and G.

My flickr images

I probably post from 1 to 5% mainly because most my photos are dupes (I pick the better in this case) or they are crap...

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

I tend to shoot everything 2-3 times also, then once I move them onto the PC I delete most and just keep the best ones.

I rarely delete anything - and my full hard drives are prrof of that. Usually only if the shot is horribly marred in some way - exposure or focus wise.

I use a lot of photo fragments in my stuff - little bits of photos that become the entire image in the final version - so that also makes me cautious about what I delete. A rubbish photo can have a great fragment hiding in it.

I do much the same as Toad. I've had to use part of one image to repair another. Photos that may have otherwise ended up in the recycle bin prove to be valuable. Seeing how we have a Snapshots forum the percentage of posted photos will likely rise for most of us now. Smile

My flickr images

I probebly share around 1-2% of my images.

I have around 20.000(roughly 133gb) images on my hd. then i probebly got around 17-20 gb on dvdr. So my share ratio is quite small.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...