Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many photos have you taken?

Just wondering... how many digital photos have you taken so far? I wonder if the old adage "practice makes perfect", and whether photographic ability can be measured against how many photos one has taken... Smile

I took my 4278th digital picture today...

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Hey I took 387 photos in a period of around 2 hours the other night, thats my record for such a short period. Surprisingly enough I was incredibly drunk (we had a finals night cocktail party for Miss Indy) a good 300 were quite decent.

I'm not overly sure how many at the moment but I think its close to hitting the 50,000 mark... does it help? Sometimes Smile

Just checked my shutter count.
I've take 9133 since I got my camera in February Wink

StudioJ Wrote:Surprisingly enough I was incredibly drunk (we had a finals night cocktail party for Miss Indy) a good 300 were quite decent.

Wow... so alcohol increases your photographic ability? Amazing :o

Considering I don't remember much of the night I'm rather surprised. However it was a good night. I get rather flirty when I'm drunk, thank goodness the Mrs doesn't mind me being silly with other women heh

ive proli taken about 7000 - 8000 photos since getting my cam in january ...

100-250. Fortunately for me, every single one has been a keeper.

Seriously though - does quantity mean ANYTHING at all as far as quality?? I think not.

Quantity doesn't mean much, for a lot of people entering digital it is about learning so they take a lot more there is also the "happy snapper" who does lots of family photos.

For me though I do a lot of event coverage so chewing up a couple hundred shots in a night isn't uncommon.

Quote:DSCF0869.JPG
That was the last photo I took and it was reset when I was messing and it was on about 40. ANd it seems when using the Preview - save/delete on shoot ups the count even if i don't save, and no where near that many have hit the hdd. Only 615 on the hdd.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

(oh, never mind)

Well, Toad's right and Jamie's right. What ultimately matters is how many keepers you have. But, there is no substitute for sheer bulk practice. I know it's gotten to be quite a brute force process these days, but it works. In the 6 + months of owning a DSLR, I've gained maybe two, three, or more years of experimental knowledge. To my mechanically inclined mind, there is just no way you can not learn easily when at your fingertips you have the ability to play with a wide gamut of ISO's, 1/3 increment EV's, and immediate exposure results. Sure, there have been many pictures taken of the ground and the wall just because it's late and I can't sleep, but I've also gained tons of experience through being able to take such a massive ammount of photographs without paying for anything. When i shot film two years ago, it cost me twelve bucsk a roll to "learn". Now, I've paid off my D70 in full, and I can learn to my hearts content.

Although now an intense experimental stint, I'm debating whether or not to sell my D70 and save for the new F6. The way i see it, the D70 will very shortly be dropping in value by maybe a couple hundred dollars. And in another year, when any good film camera would still be considered next to new, my D70 will be on it's last leg. Should I sell it?

-matt-

"It's not what you look at, it's what you see..."
http://www.matthewsaville.com

Hm... not sure regarding your D70 - I guess a camera that works well and does what you need it to do will serve you well regardless of how old it is... it's just whether you'll be able to resist the temtation of newer flashier features, etc.

Regarding the savings - that's an interesting point actually. I've taken about 4000 on my old Nikon, and close to 2500 on my Fuji, so at $10 a roll, that's about $1800 I've theoretically saved Smile hehe. I know it's not exactly accurate though, coz many hundreds would have been of me lying on the couch taking photos of the light fitting hanging of the celing... but nevertheless it gives a ballpark figure. Smile

I've taken around 4600 in 6 years!!!

1000 ish with my first digital camera (I probably took nearly as many on film during this time) This was over 4 years.

1000+/- in 21 months with my second digital camera

800+ in the 8 weeks I have had my Digital Rebel. So that is 2800 over just under 6 years of Hobby/personal shots.

Then in the last 30 months I have probably taken around 1800 shots for work. Mostly of cars for Ebay and my companies website.

Hey English - welcome to ST - post some of your best for us to appreciate.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll sort some out.

Though my best ain't so great, haven't really taken photography seriously until very recently.

With my 300D, I've passed the 10k shuttercount about a month ago - but how many pictures of those I've kept is a different thing Tongue haha

Many of the pictures were deleted on the camera, deleted on the computer or because it was a shot of a wall, or object or my foot or something when practicing.

Okay, I can't believe I missed this thread Smile

I bought my G1 back in mar 2001 and while I don't know about shutter counts, I would suggest that I've taken well over 5,000 photos .. probably closer to 10,000.

Considering that I had not fired a camera in anger before then, it's a remarkable number.

I've probably only done just the thousand or so with the D70 since I got it.

I still, like ST, like to think of it in terms of rolls of film Smile

I also think that you know you're getting better when the percentage of taken to wasted photos increases. I used to use my G1 a lot to get the "perfect" shot, so I probably kept about 50-60%...
on my D70 I think I keep about 20-30% of what I take (in terms of what I think I like). I keep all of my shots, it takes a bit of juggling to organise them in a way that allows me to find the ones I like.

That's the hardest part I've found of digital, is keeping that which you want to keep in a way so you can get to them.

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

This is a complete estimate, but I'm guessing I've taken around 20,000 or so since last December. Around 6000 of those were with my dad's 2mp camera, and now with the other cameras.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post