Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many shots?

We all post some wonderful photos to Shuttertalk. Many times however, I see photos posted that seem like they they could have been much better. So I need to ask people, when a photo op arises how many shots do you take? Are you choosing different angles? Looking at things from a different perspective? When you are photographing candids of people, are you taking multiple shots? My point is this, the more shots you take the more you have to choose from. Most of us shoot digital and even a film shooter will go through many rolls of film to only get that one prized shot.
I just want to encourage people to do these things when they see photo opportunities. Take advantage of the situation. Not only am I posting this to preach to others but it is also a reminder to myself even though I do make a conscious effort to never be satisfied with just a couple shutter actuations.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Good advice.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Quite right me ol' fruit. Big Grin

Cave canem

I take a lot of pictures... The picture I posted in the contest "Literature" was chosen among 280 pictures, I took them all in one day.. When I want to get a picture from a bunch of flowers I take around 50 pictures to get three or four really good ones, if I am lucky... My picture "Nostalgia" also was chosen among 68 pictures. The more pictures I take the more it helps me in the composition of my pictures.

Ok those pictures were staged, but for example from the Amphitheater I took 13 pictures, from the terrace I took 10 more or less, I haven't posted that one btw...... And I must say that I do this thanks to you, because you gave me the advice to take pictures from all possible angles. Thing that I remember always Smile

On the other hand when I am taking candid pictures very seldom I take more than three, "Distracted" was just one picture and the lucky one because it worked.. Perhaps I should have continued taking more pictures while they were walking and have more opportunities to choose a better one... but sometimes I feel like intrusive in the private life of others...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

True true, Pet-o.. you can do a lot in photoshop, but there's no substitute to a good photo to start off with.

Then again it comes down to how lazy I'm feeling that day. Also, depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I take my camera and go out intentionally to shoot stuff and get good pictures - I'm more inclined then to experiment and try a variety of compositions. Other times, such as events and parties, you're limited in the number of shots you can take.Big Grin

I find myself taking reasonably limited numbers when taking most photos especially of people, of course I am always looking for some special spark that catches my eye.

Occasioanlly I do take lots of shots and take them from plenty of angles if possible particularly when the sun does not co-operate and there is nothing I can do about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I'll usually fire of a couple, then step back and take another look, look around and see what else can be included in teh frame or what angle changes can be made to exclude something.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post