Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How often do you upgrade?

With the new slew of cameras being announced, I'm just wondering - how often do people upgrade their hardware? For SLR users I guess this would mean camera bodies? Anyone thinking of upgrading soon?

And what do you do with the old ones? Keep it as a backup? Ebay/ trade in?

Varies. 3 years between my S40 and my A2. 8 months between my A2 and F100. 1 year between my F100 and D200.

My God! I'm a junkie...

1 year between my Canon S400 and Sony F828; one year between my F828 and my Olympus E-1. Since then, nothing... and it's been 18 months. recently, though I've also gained another olympus SLR (E-300) and point-and-shoot, which keeps the bug at bay.

I did buy a new lens today, somewhat impulsively. Money still needs to be spent.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

It's been 3 years since buying the DRebel. Time for an upgrade now. I find the DRebel can't take enough continuous photos. I'm always having to wait for it to write to the card. Been looking at the 30D. It's a tough call though. The computer is old too.:/

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I have had my Pentax *ist DS for almost 2 years, still working really well for me but I am certainly looking forward to the new 10MP K10D but will not buy it just because it has 10MP, I want faster shooting and a bigger buffer, improved faster focusing, I like the idea of built in IS, I have played with a K100D and it seems to work quite well and it means that all my current lenses become IS, improved JPEG output (the K100D is noticibly better at JPEG compression, the K10D should be as well) 10MP added on top of the other things "should" make a very good package, I am just hoping that they aim it higher up market than the Sony A100.

I guess for those with 8MP 350D's it is a harder call to go to the 30D or the 400D, D70 to the D80 is probably hard as well, find the extra and go to the D200 I think.

:/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I always thought I would go to the 30D but the 400D is sounding good with some cool upgrades. Time will tell and I have plenty as I will be in for more lenses and like Peto a new computer is in line.

I just UPGRADED LOL , and to be honest i have no plans for a while to upgrade the camera for a little while .

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Had my 300D since beginning of Feb 04, and it's so great there's no reason to upgrade - but saying this, I'm loooking for reasons Wink

Banded Drake Wrote:I just UPGRADED LOL , and to be honest i have no plans for a while to upgrade the camera for a little while .

........ Shawn
Thank God Drake. Learn what you can and don't get involved in the equipment go-round. Some of my best photos were taken with my *worst* equipment. Focus on your technique and your artistic mert - not your hardware.

Toad Wrote:
Banded Drake Wrote:I just UPGRADED LOL , and to be honest i have no plans for a while to upgrade the camera for a little while .

........ Shawn
Thank God Drake. Learn what you can and don't get involved in the equipment go-round. Some of my best photos were taken with my *worst* equipment. Focus on your technique and your artistic mert - not your hardware.
My reasons for new equipment is usually not from 'photographic' neccessity, rather, it is just an excuse to get new toys in the name of photography. New toys! hohoho...toys...
Focussing on artistic merit is a good idea, for better pictures.
Focussing on hardware, is just... another hobby Wink

No plans to upgrade, but im planning to buy a backup or rmake my d2x a backup (depening on what Nikon releases next)

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Bought my first fim camera (a little Kodak) - age 10.
Given an Olympus film camera - age 19.
Bought my first SLR (Pentax MZ 50) - age 23.
Bought my first digital camera (Canon Pro90 IS) - age 28 (I think).
Bought my first DSLR (Canon 20D) - age 31
Bought my Canon 5D on the first day it became available (20D relegated to back-up duties) - age 32.

Am waiting for the next 1 Series body announcement - if afforadable I may buy it.

Canon stuff.

started off with a Canon D60...
upgraded that to a 20D... think that was less than 2 yrs...

would love to have a full frame body...
5D is tempting but wanna see whats next from Canon for the 1 series (like chis mentioned)

so will not be upgrading body as of now...
think 20D is good enuff... TILL i start utilising it as i should have Big Grin

Update on my upgrades. Not a camera yet but at least the puter has been upgraded. I built with an AMD Athlon dual core processor 3800 + 2.01 ghz, 1 gig ram,GeForce 7300 graphics card, Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mother board. Also a an lg Dual layer dvd with litescribe of course and a 300gig s
Seagate Barracuda external HD to compliment the internal 80gig Samsung Sata2 drive. Monitor is a 19" Nec Multisync 1940cx LCD.
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
A note regarding the LCD monitor. I researched using an LCD for a couple months. I knew the CRTs were still the better choice for image viewing and still believe that from what I've seen. However, I did notice the gloss finish screens (Cristal bright or whatever the names) appear to be best for detail. Deeper blacks and most importantly more detail in white area's. I have looked at entire walls of monitors and the ones that hold the best detail were the Cristal bright screens. All the others where there was a white scene present on their screen saver was blown so bad you could see absolutely no detail. After a couple months of looking I finally saw 2 NEC monitors side by side. The image almost identical aside from the deep blacks on the Cristal bright screen. The white area's were full of detail. Not quite as much as with the gloss screen but pretty darn close. With the matt finish Nec being on sale and almost half the price I was sold.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Feb 3, 2009, 17:16