Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to Photograph Birds: Cameras

With these points in mind, let's take a look at some of the recommendations for bird photography cameras:

https://www.photographytalk.com/photogra...ds-cameras

Hi Jeffbridge Can I ask a question here? The first point in the link document mentions the extra apparent magnification of a crop sensor. But surely a lens will give the same magnification whatever camera it is on be it CSC or full frame? It is only 'apparent' extra length not actual length. CSC gives you no more than a Full frame with a bit of cropping. Or does it? Cheers Jeff

(Dec 8, 2015, 16:40)Freeman Wrote:  CSC gives you no more than a Full frame with a bit of cropping.

That has always been my belief.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

I work on the, Take what you see/get principle. Ed.

To each his own!

(Dec 8, 2015, 16:40)Freeman Wrote:  CSC gives you no more than a Full frame with a bit of cropping. Or does it?

It will probably give the images more pixel resolution. Consider, for example, a CSC with the micro-four-thirds (MFT) sensor format, which has a 2x crop factor.

The crop factor affects the field of view. A bird that fills the frame of the MFT, will occupy only half of the frame, when the same focal length lens is used on FF camera at the same distance from the bird.

However, those are linear dimensions, so the effect will be to reduce the pixel resolution by a factor of 2-squared, i.e. the area of the FF sensor used to make the same photo of the bird will be divided by 4, so that the crop image from a 24 megapixel FF sensor image would have only 6 megapixels.

By cropping, it would require a 64 megapixel FF camera to give the same pixel resolution image as would be captured by a typical 16 megapixel MFT camera, when using the same focal length lens at the same distance from the subject.

(Please note that this Post is about pixel resolution figures only, and makes no comment on any of the many factors affecting images from MFT and FF cameras.)

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Philip, reinforces my post. Play the cards your dealt. Ed.

To each his own!

(Dec 9, 2015, 14:16)MrB Wrote:  It will probably give the images more pixel resolution.

Hence the reason we all lust after a full frame camera. Wonder when they will develop 120 size sensors (2 1/4" square). I worked with Varian, back in 1969, when they first started out on digital images. I saw the benefits then. It has only taken about 40 years to some to fruition.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35