Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to Photograph Children

Photographing children is quiet an adventure itself. Whether it’s your own children, or someone else’s, it's always difficult to stick to the same procedure you follow to photograph a grown up, or a model. After all, children are children. They are brisk, extremely busy with their own minds and hardly pay attention to you when you tell them you need them to pose. Here are some tips you can follow to get perfect children photographs.

1. Shoot in manual or aperture priority mode. Use a wide aperture and a faster shutter speed (at least around 1/500th of a second) if you are not aiming deliberately to introduce some blur to signify the actions and the brisk nature.

2. Use a lens with zoom capabilities. 70-200 mm f.8 is an ideal solution however the price is quiet high. For the average shooter however 50 mm 1.4 and 85 mm 1.8 are ideal solutions, although they are primes.

3. Limit your usage of built-in flash. Use natural light as much as possible, if you have an assistant make her hold a reflector to illuminate the subject. A golden reflector does an amazing job, introducing a nice warm effect to the photograph. If you have, use a fill flash, bounce the flash off a surface. If not use a diffuser.

4. Let the children have fun. Do not scare them away showing your camera, lens and all that. Be fu yourself. Remember, if you are going to capture their personalities, you have to enter their world as a guest.

5.Be patient. Children are busy with their own business, so that they hardly pay attention to yours. Be patient with yourself too. Set the camera right, wait for the right moment, and shoot.

6. Get down to the child’s eye level. Kneel down or lie on your tummy to get a different angle.

7. Take candid shots. I find candid moments are much more vivid, and live than the posed shots, when it comes to children photography.

8.Shoot indoors as well as outdoors.

Always learn from the professional photographers around the world. Use a website like flickr, or a personal website of a professional children photographer to observe their photos, and learn from their photos. Think about what makes them rock. Try their angles, perspectives and techniques with your photos, and keep practicing.
Smile

Viewing and studying others photos is a great way to learn! Thanks for the wonderful share of information - very useful!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thanks for these tips. I like number 7! I think it's true that children's candid photo shots look more alive than the ones that are staged or planned for. It's the same as when you videotape them without them knowing it, they always either end up doing something really funny and/or something wonderful.

I think those are some GREAT tips! I took like number 7. I think it's easier to let them do their thing and snap away then have them pose.

Also, when scheduling sessions, keep in mind snack and nap time. I usually ask their mom at what times they are well rested and not hungry. A crabby startving kid makes extra work. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post