Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to get the light effect behind or above the subject's heads?

Hello All

I was recently doing a baby photo shoot including the parents. They wanted to get the effect where the sunlight shines above or behind their heads but not exactly directly into the lens.

I think it's hard to explain it here, so below is the link of some random photo to explain what I exactly mean.
Link - http://www.heathercheskyphotography.com/...oors-2.jpg

I wanted to know how can a photographer get this effect? Is it post-photo-editing techniques?

Cheers
Samy

I am not the professional here, but I would think the hazy look would come from post processing. The setting I think would include some sunshine coming from behind naturally.

Others will be along to answer as well. They will also be better at giving pointers to help you gain the best possible shot with this effect! :0)

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(May 2, 2013, 10:55)samyshah Wrote:  Hello All

I was recently doing a baby photo shoot including the parents. They wanted to get the effect where the sunlight shines above or behind their heads but not exactly directly into the lens.

I think it's hard to explain it here, so below is the link of some random photo to explain what I exactly mean.

I wanted to know how can a photographer get this effect? Is it post-photo-editing techniques?

Cheers
Samy

Based on my experience you can achieved this in the field plus post processing but there are few thing you need to consider when doing this kind of shoot. Source of light positioning plus timing, Multicoated UV filter on my lens, and positioning of subject, highlights and shadows also. When shooting it ok to go under expose but not too much then you can re adjust the highlights and shadows on Lightroom the bring up the under expose area of the face of the subject. MUlti coated UV filter will usually minimize the effect of having flare in your lens but will bring up the sun rays.

Sample shoot done recently Smile
[Image: _DSC2423_zpsc159e952.jpg]

Thanks Photoplay!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thanks PhotoPlay. Appreciate your inputs. I shall give it a try. I do not have any filters that I use currently so maybe getting one will help my cause. I also need to understand the positioning of light source when I actually take a snap.

Cheers
Samy

One filter that I never removed on my lens is the MultiCoated UV filter. It gives protection on my lens from dust (will clean the filter if with dust not the lens itself avoiding direct contact to my lens prevent from scratching it; inexpensive to buy a filter when damage than buying a new lens). Get the Multicoated not the ordinary UV filter. You'll see the difference when shooting. Ordinary filter will give you hazy color while the multi coated don't have hazy. The coating of your lens is the same coating as the Multicoated. When buying filter buy the one with the multi coated.

Just shoot against the sun, overexpose a bit and experiment. Shoot in manual mode. There's no need for post-processing to get the effect you want.
Single coated lenses or filters will increase the haze effect and may add interesting light flare if you choose to use them. Also experiment with old manual lenses. They're usually really good for portraits. My fav portrait lenses are all manual focus, decades old. Some even have fungus Smile

(May 3, 2013, 02:40)PhotoPlay Wrote:  
(May 2, 2013, 10:55)samyshah Wrote:  Hello All
Sorry but I do not like this effect at all.It goes against all my ideas of what photography is.When I last used my (film)folding camera-a Zeiss-the bellows had a small hole and let the light in. That had the same effect.I would use a reflector, white or maybe gold or silver, above the heads .quite close, especially in sunlight.
Then again , it's a matter of taste.

was recently doing a baby photo shoot including the parents. They wanted to get the effect where the sunlight shines above or behind their heads but not exactly directly into the lens.

Cheers
Samy

Based on my experience you can achieved this in the field plus post processing but there are few thing you need to consider when doing this kind of shoot. Source of light positioning plus timing, Multicoated UV filter on my lens, and positioning of subject, highlights and shadows also. When shooting it ok to go under expose but not too much then you can re adjust the highlights and shadows on Lightroom the bring up the under expose area of the face of the subject. MUlti coated UV filter will usually minimize the effect of having flare in your lens but will bring up the sun rays.

Sample shoot done recently Smile
[Image: _DSC2423_zpsc159e952.jpg]

Sammy has not been "seen" since Sept 11.th last year, but he may look in. This is mainly an exposure problem, direct metering at the subjects, spot or otherwise, would have obviated this. The att was 3/4 mts in Photoshop, the original was 60K/bts, which does not help. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

What's with all the resurrecting O L D threads recently?

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Wall-E,

Maybe people find them interesting?

Just a thought.

Phil.

I replied to a today's post, hardly old. Ed.

(Jan 9, 2014, 11:33)EdMak Wrote:  I replied to a today's post, hardly old. Ed.

This thread had gone stale in May of 2013.
All of a sudden, there's a new reply? 7 months later.

And my comment wasn't directed at you, Ed, but at lizadaw, who is a brand new member.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

New, perhaps did not look at the date, and, trying to be helpful? Ed.

Being an old thread does not stop it from being interesting, surely?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post