Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to make a Portafolio

I was wondering how many of you have prints to show as your portafolio...

Any ideas you could give me to make/show mine?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Here's an article that talks a bit about them:
http://www.avisualsociety.com/2007/11/19/portfolios/

Mine are all 8x10" prints on 8.5 x 11" paper.
Right now they are still in the plastic sleeves with cardboard stiffeners--packaged for sale.
But they will all go into a big leather book soon.

Thanks Keith for the link very interesting information. Reading this post I remembered that where we buy the painting materials they have some big books, I think it is the same for painting and for pictures.... I have to see... The size of the print and the way to present them... I had no idea!!

Thanks again.

Paul Cezanne

Irma, thanks for this topic, very usefull. I have been carrying around a box of prints, then plastic folders of prints, then CDs, now I like the photobooks as one way to present my pictures, especially when they are thematically related, like the ones from China.

but never come up with the ultimate portefolio....

Keith, where did you get a nice leather book?
I have been looking around for one... can you take a picture of yours?

thanks!

Few days ago G came home with a workmate that wanted to test my camera. He comes from a family of photographers, he got his first SLR at the age of 6, a very interesting person, it is a real pleasure to talk with him about photography and of course cameras.

Anyway, the thing is that G has in a kind of plastic folder some prints he has done of his pictures, not his best pictures I think but still he has something to show...This person was so interested, looking at the pictures and looking the detail in the prints and all. Then I saw how important is to have at least 10 of your best pictures in print and somehow arrange them to show when it is needed.

I really wouldn't like to make a photoalbum... and star showing my first flower picture, but I want to select let's say 10 or 15 (I think it is a good number) of my best and print them good size.

I do have more plastic folders like G's... but I want to make it more beautiful... maybe he change his plastic folder for a nice book... Wink

Paul Cezanne

wulinka Wrote:Keith, where did you get a nice leather book?
I have been looking around for one... can you take a picture of yours?
thanks!
I don't have the book yet, but it's on top of my list when I can afford it.
I think being consistent in print size and presentation is important and a book is the way to do that.
Judging by the article I linked, art directors and other people in the business feel the same way.

I have put together a few portfolios for various photo projects or jurying sessions - one day I should do it properly. An art supply store is the best place to get a presentation book, IMO - although you can get smaller ones at business supply stores as well - usually not very big though. I would like to have 11x14 photos in my portfolio in a perfect world.

G used to print his pictures at home, his format is not so large. I would love to print mine a bit bigger as you said 11 x 14 but I don't know yet $$. The thing is that with all this talking about presentation books, I had the idea that it might be nice for G to get one of those as a Christmas gift ... I talked about all this with him and he loved the idea.

We'll go to buy it next week... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I'd also have a set of prints laminated: not all clients like to open folders...and they can be passed around a group quickly...and you can change selections as you meet different groups of clients. I was listening to a pro once who said something that stuck with me: get copies done in a variety of media. Laminated colour prints look good with a black border: 8x10 prints (as a minimum) with a border gives you close to A4; I'd also suggest that with the resolution of your 5D and a prime lens, it would be worth doing a few laminates at 16x12.
I've just realised I've given dimensions in inches: please forgive!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig,

Don't worry for the dimensions in inches. It is good because I get familiar... Smile

Very interesting what you say, because we just came back from the shop and what we bought has this option too..

It is a Mera Presentation Case and Binder.

Here are some pictures

[Image: IMG_8314-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8320-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8324-Edit.jpg]

The best thing is that for you to work or show your pictures at home you can remove the binder from the case.

[Image: IMG_8329-Edit.jpg]

The size of the pictures you can store is around 24 x 32cm and still you have room for a border. The thing is that G makes all his prints at home so I think this is a very nice size for his work...

What I liked the most is that G is so happy with his case. I am also very happy because it is something that he will use and he didn't think of it, it came as a surprise!! Smile

Here is the link of their web site... http://www.prat.com/

I will start printing some of my pictures, and when I have some I will buy mine too. Perhaps as Zig recommends I will make some a bit bigger, so I will wait to see the size of mine.

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Moreta
Oct 3, 2004, 23:32