Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to spot a fake photo

According to Scientific American, here's 5 ways to tell whether a photo has been doctored:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=5-wa...ake&sc=rss

1. Lighting
2. Eyes and positions
3. Specular highlights
4. Cloning
5. Camera fingerprints

The last two are more difficult to detect with just normal observation - the team uses special algorithms to find these out.

So... if I shoot a scene containing no specular highlights, in the dark, with my eyes closed, wearing gloves.... then as long as I'm not a genetically modified copy of myself then there should be no way to tell if my photos have been doctored?

Am I missing something? Tongue Big Grin

In seriousness that's an interesting topic. It's getting harder and harder to pick a doctored photo these days.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Lol @ Kombi... if you shot in the dark, there wouldn't be a photo would there? Big Grin

By the way, this is definitely worth a read - staged and manipulated photos in the media. Very thorough investigation and write up...

http://www.zombietime.com/reuters_photo_fraud/

Another key question to ask is:

Is this one of Toad's photos?

shuttertalk Wrote:By the way, this is definitely worth a read - staged and manipulated photos in the media. Very thorough investigation and write up...

http://www.zombietime.com/reuters_photo_fraud/
How did you find this ST?
The author seems amazingly informed about everthing going on in the news world, I wonder how he is able to keep track....
To bad he is hiding his identity, as he says himself, for good reason.
but I like knowing whose work it is I am reading.

Impressive, anyway.

Uli

An interesting article, thanks for the link. I was intrigued to see that resizing or fairly basic tone corrections is enough to defeat the current 'fingerprint' detection techniques. If a photo with a Levels adjustment counts as manipulated, then that's an authenticity standard that film would never be able to meet. It seems like there's no easy answer to the basic question of exactly what constitutes a 'manipulated' image.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks for the link Jules...
It was an interesting reading... I was impressed by the pictures of the woman in different backgrounds... and the man with different color halmet... at the end you don't know what you are looking at when you see these pictures in the news...

What made me laugh a lot was the fainted man with the cap in his arm... so sweet.... fainted but without losing his cap... Big Grin

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Yeah, my favourites are the green helmet guy, and also that old lady in black that poses at a few scenes...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Jul 14, 2020, 09:55
Last Post by Barbara G.
Mar 12, 2020, 04:53