Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I know it's been discussed before

...... But I'd really like a compact or psuedo compact with a real viewfinder and decent performance.

Does anyone care to make a recommendation, please?

Panasonic GF1 with the optional EVF.

Large sensor, low noise, interchangeable lenses - not too big. A bit pricy though.

Yes, nice. Unfortunately it's £1000. Seems like a little too much money.

Thanks though!

If you'll include electronic viewfinders, then the Canon SX20 IS would be my choice. (And I can say that because I bought one.) I haven't ever needed the EVF, and prefer the swivel screen for everything, but it is there and gives 100% coverage. The only decent optical viewfinder is on the Canon G11, and even that shows less than 80% of the actual frame. All others that I've seen are just basic pointing devices.

The SX20's performance is decent. Not fantastic, excellent, or really really good. It's decent - it doesn't annoy me much when I'm using it instead of my D700.

(But for a small, unassuming camera, there's a lot to be said for the Nikon D3000 with the 35/1.8.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:(But for a small, unassuming camera, there's a lot to be said for the Nikon D3000 with the 35/1.8.)
I thought you would have plugged one of the Olympus ones? Big Grin

I certainly would - if I knew what they are. There's been so many new models that I haven't been able to keep up with them all. Rolleyes

(Jessop's has the E-450+14-42 for £439.00 right now, but I'd be tempted by the E-620 @ £529.00 and 25mm/2.8 pancake lens for £179.00... but both options are a bit dear.)

I have to admit that my interest in the D3000 is a little irrational - it feels like more of a camera than the equivalent Canon models, and the D40 that preceded it is still a well-regarded camera. If I see someone with a 50D and a 17-85, then I assume they walked into a store and bought the box. If I see someone with a D3000+35/1.8, then I think that they figured out how to get the best possible image quality for the least amount of money. There's a bit more 'street cred' there for me; like I said, it's irrational.

(Perhaps I admire people who squeeze a lot of great images out of using modest equipment because I don't do much of either. Big Grin)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I dunno. The SX20 is small sensor - high noise and really not that small. At least the Panasonic has a reasonable sized sensor, under control noise and a acceptable size factor. If the noise is out of line - then the compact camera becomes a point and shoot rather than a high availability alternate prime camera.

Not to disparage point and shoots. Some of my best stuff has been from point and shoots. That is why I think it is important to find a truly compact camera that delivers near SLR performance. Panasonic GF1 looks like best of breed at the moment.

A mini SLR is still an SLR. The micro four thirds offers the best compromise between performance and portability at the moment IMO.

You can always buy a used film camera. There are still lots of those around with optical viewfinders.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I'm with Toad on this one. The GF1 is a great camera. If you want something decent you have to be prepared to put up some decent money.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:I'm with Toad on this one. The GF1 is a great camera. If you want something decent you have to be prepared to put up some decent money.
I think that you are both right.

I did also consider, as Mr Schaeffer suggests, an old film compact. When I really questioned myself about it though, I had to conclude that I probably would only use it once in a while. For that reason only, I have ruled film out.