Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I know that its not digital...

Hello to all ,
Just thought that i would share with yall. I just recieved my first lessons on photography. Big Grin I dont use digital yet Sad , but at least now i am on my way to shooting the way i want to. The course isnt the best but it will get my foot in the door.
I will be posting pictures in the near future for yall to look at. And see if i am getting better. ( although i am STILL waiting on my camera to get back from the shop ).
I have a few questions for yall
1. Does a picture " loose anything " when it is scanned?
2. What is the best Image program for under 100.00$
3. Will someone mind if i have questions about photography can i e-mail them ( kind of like a tuter ( sp ) ) ? I hate to ask this but yall seem to be able to answer a lot of things.

Thanks in advance Shawn....

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I use film and digital - so I can help a bit.

1. Yes, all scanners lose a little of the detail of the original image (and most add noise) - the professional lab scanners don't lose much, however. If I need my film scanned for a pro use - I get a lab to do it on one of their $50,000 scanners. All home scanner will lose varying amounts of detail - I find it really depends on the photo. Scan at as high a resolution as you can - don't apply a lot of filters to the scan like noise reduction - do that kind of thing in your image processing program. The best type of home scanner to buy is one that scans negatives directly - not a flatbed scanner. This limits its use somewhat, but there is no comparison in quality. I have heard that the Nikon DIgital Ice software is superb - but it is only available with Nikon scanner hardware (I think) as it is a combination of software and hardware elements.

2. Dunno - I use PhotoShop - try Photoshop Elements or PaintShop Pro - others here may be able to advise on that better

3. I am sure people would not mind emails - but that isn't the best thing to do. For every question that you have that you think is too basic to ask - there are hundreds of other people online that have that same question and also feel funny about asking. Asking a question in an online forum helps everybody - not just you. Please feel free to ask away online and rest assurred that plenty of others benefit from your question and from the answers.

1. Yep, it loses detail and depth and gains noise and moire.

2. I'd go for photoshop elements.

3. Sure, but as as Toad said, much better to share the question as well as the answers.

Thanks to the both of you. I have so much to learn and i think i found the place .

I have be looking at Photoshop Elements , And thinking about getting it.

I will post all my questions , no matter how " Stupid " i think they are.

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Agree regarding posting questions in the forums - that way, you get responses from different people, and different persepectives as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by ALAN 47
Jan 31, 2014, 05:12