Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm a kombi-less-saurus now! :~(

Well.... it's the end of an era for me. I finally sold my Kombi. *sniff*

The poor old thing is 33 years old now. I hardly ever drove it these days and it's in need of quite a lot of TLC to give it the life it deserves. It was just gathering dust (and rust) down the side of my house instead of making somebody else as happy as it made me when I was driving it around Australia ten years ago.

I've got so many amazing memories and hilarious stories involving that van. As frustrating it has been at times, I'd never go back and change anything. I've owned it for over 10 years, and in that time it has never ever run perfectly for me. There is always something wrong with it, and as soon as I fixed one thing then something else would need fixing. But while it has never been perfect, it has also never ever left me stranded either. I've never had to abandon it or have it towed anywhere. It's just one of those cars that rattles and carries on and feels like it's about to fall apart, but just keeps going and going and going and nothing will kill it.

I miss it already, but at the same time I feel like a burden has been lifted. I've also got more space in my garden now and fewer registration and insurance bills!

Here's my favourite photo of it up in the dunes north of Lancelin. I feel like going travelling every time I look at this photo.
[Image: 118941304-L.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Sorry about your loss Tongue funny how you become attached to 4 wheels, its like your own private space outside your home.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Don't let my wife know. She has been hinting at one for a while now. I think she has outgrown the tent.
But I can't justify one on ..........price/size/garaging/security.
Great photo.. It would have been perfect with a new kombi.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

It's sad to part with it, but if the way you live your life has changed, you've made the right choice. Who knows what joy it can bring to someone else, and who knows what options you'll find in your future?

But not to make a sad moment more painful, when I was visiting Australia having a caravan and going touring seemed like such a great thing to do. Just a month later, driving across the American midwest, I would have loved to be able to pull in to some of the neat little spots, go exploring, and stay as long as I want. There may be a small RV in my future. (I just need to learn to drive first! Big Grin)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Always sad to part from a car that was yours from so long. I parted from my VW after 11 years too, it was a Brasilia. Beautiful little car.

We thought about having a kombi too, but the thing is that here in Germany those cars pay very high taxes every year. So instead, we bought a 10euro tent... :/

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I love the picture. Truely the end of an era. Does this mean the Kombi was sacraficed on the altar of new lenses and a new 1D3 Smile

Canon stuff.

feeling with you... you get attached to these things, the older they are, the harder to let go of them....

at least you have something else to play with (soon?)!

uli

Thanks all for your commiserations. :/

WS, I had already decided to sell the kombi long before the 1D3 and lenses were planned, but I must admit that selling the kombi has enabled me to get all of it before selling my old gear. Sadly I would need to sell a few more kombis to pay for all the new gear.

Uli, I'm like a little kid before christmas waiting for this gear to arrive. I've got about 7 different packages in transit from various people, companies, and eBay at the moment.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Awww, sad... the end of an era. Sad

I'm sure the memories will live on long after though! Big Grin

Great shot.
My husband had a hot little VW beetle when we first met...20 something years ago...now our 17 year old son has his own hot little VW beetle....I'm worried Big Grin

The new gear sounds wonderful.

Sharon Smile

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill