Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm baaaack! Did you miss me?

Hey all, guess what? I'm back!

I actually flew in on Sunday, but was really tired and sick from flu/cough that I caught while in the Philippines. I've been resting and returned to work yesterday, and am glad to be back!

The trip itself was an awesome experience - Europe is such a wonderful place, with magical sights in each city we went to. From the canals of Amsterdam and Venice, to the churches and buildings of Germany and Italy, to the scenery of Switzerland, or the wonders of Paris - I loved every minute of it. The 2nd half of my trip - Malaysia and Philippines - was completely different experience altogether. Did lots of shopping in Malaysia, but we stayed with relatives in the less well off parts of Philippines, and that was a real eye opener.

I'm happy to be sleeping in my own bed, and not living out of a suitcase, although I miss the travels already.

In terms of photography - I took photos in Europe like it was going out of fashion. I'm going to have a fun time sorting through all the pics - my wife and I used up a combined total of 60GB (photos and movies though), and I'm sure glad that I brought my portable hard drive along.

30 days of carrying a 2.5kg bag around on your shoulder gave me the worst shoulder aches though - next time I think I'll rethink my bag strategy. I was carrying my D50, 18-70mm, 55-200mm, 28mm, SB600 flashgun, and Nexto portable hard drive. I hardly used the 55-200mm and 28mm, perhaps it would have been better to get a 18-200 or all-in-one. It got so bad that I left my gear in the hotel in Malaysia for a couple of days to give my muscles a break (plus we were mostly in shopping centres anyway).

Anyway, I've got a ton of discussions to catch up on, plus thousands of photos to sort through... I missed everyone greatly - and not being able to log on to ST everyday was definitely a challenge for me. I'm thankful that things didn't fall over while I was gone, and I'm even more thankful for the awesome job the moderators seem to have done... thanks heaps guys, I owe you one. Thanks to everyone as well for giving them your support.

It's great to be back! Big Grin

Welcome back! I'm glad you made it safely, and didn't get quarantined for your flu. I can't wait to see the pictures.

My camera and one lens weighs 2.5kg....

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Have you been away? Big Grin Glad you enjoyed it coming our way. I certainly did going to the far east,
Your moderators have been doing a fantastic job, and I am not sure they will let you back. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Welcome back ST - looking forward to your pictures.

Canon stuff.

NT73 Wrote:Your moderators have been doing a fantastic job, and I am not sure they will let you back. Big Grin
Didn't you hear? We're all on vacation for the next two weeks. Why do you think Jules had to cut his vacation short?

Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Welcome back Smile Trip sounds wonderful.

Great to know everything went fine, and your and your wife are happy and at home... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Welcome back Jules! Let's see some photos now...

Welcome Back ST ! i am glad all is well . I look foward to seeing some photos ..

.... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Looking forward to seeing those photos Jules! Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

shuttertalk Wrote:I'm happy to be sleeping in my own bed...
Isn't that the best after a big trip.. Welcome back.. I hope you get over the 'birdflu' ok.

Don't hold back with the pictures.
Shane

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Welcome back Jules!
60Gb...ouch!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Welcome back!
We've been behaving ourselves!

what a contrast, germanyswitzerlandfrance and then the phils.... did you take pictures of both? could make a great story.

hope you recover quickly from cold and shoulder aches!

uli

That is a lot to carry. I know that the 18-200 is not the sharpest, but it is nice and compact and I do not have to change lenses, until I get the tokina 11-16 mm, for which I have been waiting for ever. On trips, I have practically no use for longer lenses and I got rid of my 55-200. 18-70 is optically better than 18-200 and I would use it if I know I will not need a longer lens. On holiday tooring Europe, I never needed a flash, except for fill-in in contrasty situations and than built-in was good enough. Next time, I will lug my tripod though. Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by StudioJ
Dec 30, 2004, 21:28