Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm excited! Just ordered a 1D Mk3 (plus 2 lenses)

As the topic suggests, I just ordered a Canon 1D Mark III body, and a pair of nice lenses to go with it too.
The lenses are a Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L zoom as a walk-around lens and a Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS telephoto zoom.
It should all hopefully arrive in about 2 weeks.

Chris was kind enough to let me have a play with his gear over the long weekend, and apart from confirming how much of a joy the 1D3, 24-70 f/2.8L, and 700-200 f/2.8L IS all are to use (is there any Canon lens or body he doesn't own now??? Big Grin), it allowed me to test my other existing lenses with the 1D3 body to see how they fared.

My biggest concern was my Sigma 10-20mm DC EX ultra wide-angle zoom. With the 1D3 having a 1.3x crop factor, it is stuck in the middle between an APS-size and full-frame sensor, and the Sigma lens is designed for APS cameras but unlike the Canon EF-S lenses it also fits and works on full-frame (but shows serious vignetting). While the lens did show very obvious vignetting in the corners at 10mm on the 1D3, it completely disappeared by 12mm making the lens effectively a fantastic cheap little 12-20mm zoom for the 1D3. I just have to make sure I don't use it at 10 or 11mm unless I want dark corners. I'm really happy I don't have to sell this lens and then buy a more expensive ultra wide-angle alternative, because although not perfect I've been very happy with it.

I will be selling my 70-200 f/4L lens which the new 70-200 f/2.8L IS will replace, plus I'll be selling my 30D with EF-S 17-85mm IS lens to help offset some of the cost. My work is also subsidising some of the cost so the whole thing won't send me bankrupt! :/
But as well as keeping my Sigma 10-20mm zoom, I'm also keeping all my primes which, as expected, are as good or better on the 1D3 than my 30D.

I can't wait! The only problem is that I won't have anyone to blame but myself for all my dud photos now... :/

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Congratulations, Adrian!!
Look forward to see pictures from your new toy... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Congrats congrats!
New toys are so exciting!!

I want them too!!!

That's great news Adrian - glad I was able to help out with the process. Interested to hear your feedback when you have received yours.

Canon stuff.

Congratulations on making the leap, and that's good news about the new lenses, too. Is there an ETA?

Kombisaurus Wrote:I can't wait! The only problem is that I won't have anyone to blame but myself for all my dud photos now... :/
I have this on my wall: http://web.mac.com/aaronandpatty/iWeb/Wh...B971A.html

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:Congratulations on making the leap, and that's good news about the new lenses, too. Is there an ETA?

I have this on my wall: http://web.mac.com/aaronandpatty/iWeb/Wh...B971A.html
hahahahaha.. that cartoon is fantastic Matthew! Thanks for the link, I forwarded it on to a few people who'd like it.

I'm buying the camera body from a local store here in Perth. ETA for it is mid October, but Canon still can't meet worldwide demand for this body at the moment so there is no guarantee it will actually arrive then. I'm 2nd in the queue for one at this particular store however so I've got a reasonable chance of getting it then if they get any stock at all.
I'm getting the lenses from B&H who are closed for holidays at the moment, but they'll hopefully get sent out next Monday and then take a week to get here from the US.
Gotta love the exchange rates at the moment. Finally it seems the aussie dollar is good for something?!?! Big Grin

Adrian Broughton

I got my last order from them in 5 days - including the weekend.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:I got my last order from them in 5 days - including the weekend.
Wow. That's impressive from the US to Aus.

Adrian Broughton

Kombisaurus Wrote:I'm 2nd in the queue for one at this particular store however so I've got a reasonable chance of getting it then if they get any stock at all. I'm getting the lenses from B&H who are closed for holidays at the moment, but they'll hopefully get sent out next Monday and then take a week to get here from the US. Gotta love the exchange rates at the moment.
Hopefully you'll get the camera sooner than you expect. And I've been pleased with everything I've bought from B&H, so you should have the lenses soon, too.

I love this exchange rate. I'm hoping that Olympus gets their act in gear and sets the release and pricing for the E-3 before it goes back to normal, assuming that it will... To buy $1 US today costs $1.0039 Canadian. I remember when it was $1.30. I'm desperately trying to think of something that I need to buy mail-order. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

congrats on all the new gear ! i know the intisipation is killin you Big Grin...

..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

The dollar is good for buying now! ( http://au.biz.yahoo.com/071005/19/1fhfy.html )
but.... what to buy!! Sad

Just saw a whole lot of gear in Quokka similar to yours! I guess it must be yours! Big Grin

I would like to know the joys of a 24-70 f/2.8L... its one of my current temptations!

Yep that's mine Adam. Big Grin

hmmm.. but I just checked the quokka online myself and both of my adverts are incorrect! They put my 30D and EF-S 17-85 in for $200 more than I'm asking, and also mucked up the Sigma 10-20 advert (changing it's price to $350 instead of removing it altogether as I asked for!). No wonder I got heaps of calls about the 10-20 during the week and none about the 30D! Rolleyes

Adrian Broughton

I saw the ad to and was wondering why the Sigma was in there when you mentioned you wanted to keep it.

Canon stuff.

Kombisaurus Wrote:I'm getting the lenses from B&H who are closed for holidays at the moment, but they'll hopefully get sent out next Monday and then take a week to get here from the US.
We hope you enjoy them.

henryp Wrote:
Kombisaurus Wrote:I'm getting the lenses from B&H who are closed for holidays at the moment, but they'll hopefully get sent out next Monday and then take a week to get here from the US.
We hope you enjoy them.
Well thanks Henry! Big Grin Welcome to shuttertalk.
Nice of you to sign up to pass on your good wishes.

I received an email earlier this evening saying the lenses have been shipped (right on time). You guys certainly know how to run an online store the way it should be run.
It gives the customer (me) a lot of confidence when buying from you. Thanks again!

Adrian Broughton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post