Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ideal Lens

I'd like to know what lens people think would be their ideal lens. If you were to buy one and never buy another again, which one would you get? Would it be a superzoom (i.e. 28-300)? Or a standard zoom (28-105)? Or a prime perhaps?

One lens? Thats a hard one, none that I know of would cover all the jobs. The only one that does them all that might be useful would be the new Canon 28-300L IS USM

Only ONE lens? Apparently, the ones with big zoom range have many elements inside which make it unsharp wherehas the primes, you've only got one focal length to play with but its sharpppppppppp. *thinks*

So many variables to consider! I guess there's no such thing.

If I had to shoot only one type of subject it would be portraits, and the lens would be the Canon 135mm f/2 L.

But my "ideal" lens for all-purpose high-quality shooting would be a 15-300mm f/1.0. In a compact body. With anti-shake technology. And 1:1 macro focusing. And it would have a universal mount so that it worked with any camera. And built-in GPS. Big Grin

What about the ice dispenser??

StudioJ Wrote:What about the ice dispenser??

Come on J, get serious. You can't really expect that.

Especially when it's already built into the battery grip!

Yes! The camera manufacturers need to listen to you more, Mitch! Big Grin

While you're at it, make the wide angle end 10mm Big Grin

I need a very wide angle lens or I'm not happy. My auxillary lens makes my lens go from 21 to 63 mm equiv. If it would go to a slight tele--it would be ideal, say 21 to 135 or even 21 to 105.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

slejhamer Wrote:So many variables to consider! I guess there's no such thing.

If I had to shoot only one type of subject it would be portraits, and the lens would be the Canon 135mm f/2 L.

But my "ideal" lens for all-purpose high-quality shooting would be a 15-300mm f/1.0. In a compact body. With anti-shake technology. And 1:1 macro focusing. And it would have a universal mount so that it worked with any camera. And built-in GPS. Big Grin

how about we make that a 10 to 1600 .. with some sort of levitating device to stabalise it ^__^ jkjk ... its quite hard to think of an ideal one ...

Oh this is easy. The ideal lens is the one you have on when a photo opportunity arises! SmileBig GrinWinkBig Grin

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

When I was at work last week, my boss found me tightening up some of the hex bolts that keep our step-stools together. I was using the little multi-tool that I carry with my bike. He told me that he has a whole tool kit that I'm welcome to use, but I pointed out that mine was the best tool in the whole world: I had it in my hand, I was using it, and it did the job.

My dream lens would be something like the 120mm Zeiss-Hartblei super rotator tilt-shift lens, but with 1:1 macro magnification, automatic aperture control as with my 85mm pc-e (but stepless), and autofocus. It would truly be my ultimate lens - I'd never be able to afford another. Big Grin (But it would be worth it.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55