Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ikea transitioning to CGI for catalogs

Catalog photographers could be facing extinction as well. Ikea is supposedly replacing photography in its catalogs with computer generated images - up to 12% of images in the catalog this year are CGI, with the target being 25% for next year.

The obvious benefits are compelling:

Quote: Using CGI instead of photos offers some attractive benefits. Instead of creating and discarding entire living spaces for photo shoots, graphic designers can simply whip one together on a screen. Instead of replacing entire sets of furniture to change the color, they can use a few simple clicks and keystrokes.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/24/ikea...r-renders/

If you check out the link though it's pretty amazing what they've done. I couldn't tell which of the two photos was CGI and which was real.

A bit like the stuff they sell. I can't tell which is cheap and which is total rubbish.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.
Photo 

(Aug 27, 2012, 05:59)NT73 Wrote:  A bit like the stuff they sell. I can't tell which is cheap and which is total rubbish.
I agree 200% My last 2 visits to Ikea were, My First and last, Dare I say it, The word Crap comes to mind. Bloke

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post