Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Image Manipulation

Hi All,
I have been taking photo’s of old buildings in King’s Lynn and then manipulated them to try and get them to look as they may have been when built. This is my first attempt, the photo is of the Custom House built in 1683. The camera I used was the Canon 60D, I then removed all the old buildings and modern street furniture as well as some people who were in the picture, I then added a new sky for effect using PaintShop Pro X6. As I am new to photo manipulation I would appreciate any comments and or tips to make the image better. (I plan to undertake between 20 and 30 images eventually).Huh

Attached Files Image(s)

I like this one - clear, detailed, uncluttered, lovely tint...I'd be happy with this result Smile

Great shot. I bet the photo would not have been that sharp when the building was constructed.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Nov 4, 2013, 07:39)NorfolkMike Wrote:  Hi All,
I have been taking photo’s of old buildings in King’s Lynn and then manipulated them to try and get them to look as they may have been when built. This is my first attempt, the photo is of the Custom House built in 1683. The camera I used was the Canon 60D, I then removed all the old buildings and modern street furniture as well as some people who were in the picture, I then added a new sky for effect using PaintShop Pro X6. As I am new to photo manipulation I would appreciate any comments and or tips to make the image better. (I plan to undertake between 20 and 30 images eventually).Huh

The only thing I might suggest is to overlay some film grain. The sky is way too smooth compared to the building.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Obviously a labour of love. Like to see the original. (It's slightly tilted). Like. Ed.

Why the tint? Digital photos don't need sepia or selenium toner to help them last longer. Lets have full contrast, black to white.
If you look at the real sky you won't see any grain. It's a nice picture but it doesn't need to look like an old one. Just like a cracking good one taken a long time ago.

(Nov 4, 2013, 12:32)epicurus Wrote:  Why the tint? Digital photos don't need sepia or selenium toner to help them last longer. Lets have full contrast, black to white.
If you look at the real sky you won't see any grain. It's a nice picture but it doesn't need to look like an old one. Just like a cracking good one taken a long time ago.

But if that's the look he's after, then why take him to task for an artistic choice?

He worked REAL HARD to remove any modern elements from the image.
And make it different from any of the other thousands of Custom House pics I found on Google Images.

I happen to like it.
My comment was meant to help harmonize the existing elements.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

May I thank you all for your responses, they are very much appreciated.
Re using sepia, I have started the first 5 images and tried different finishes on these and found sepia helped to cover parts replaced or removed., This, in my opinion, give an old feel to them but accept the comment, which is why I posted the image for comment critique.
Thanks for the tip on being angled, I also noticed that the guttering and down pipe are still there.
I have uploaded the original, you can also see the others on Flicker http://www.flickr.com/98135571@N02/ Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike, I think you have done a good job with your manipulation. I disagree with the comment about the tilt - it is not tilted, it is vertical perspective, and you have just the correct amount in your image. I do agree, however, about the toning - with suitable levels of brightness and contrast, this image makes a great black and white photo.

Philip

I wonder if that angled area at the bottom front of the building (a buttress? a pavement side-on?) (the bit the guy is sitting on in the original) makes the image look tilted? As far as I can tell, it isn't actually tilted, but as the bit I refer to is like a shallow (part) triangle, top edge horizontal, bottom edge angled, maybe this gives the illusion?

and I still like the tint Tongue

(Nov 5, 2013, 05:49)Vik Wrote:  I wonder if that angled area at the bottom front of the building (a buttress? a pavement side-on?) (the bit the guy is sitting on in the original) makes the image look tilted? As far as I can tell, it isn't actually tilted, but as the bit I refer to is like a shallow (part) triangle, top edge horizontal, bottom edge angled, maybe this gives the illusion?

and I still like the tint Tongue

You are correct; the foundation on which the building sits is sloped down to the right which makes the image look off. However I did check and the image is slightly out of alignment so will be adjusted when I work on the final image. With regard to the tint, this is still open for discussion but at the moment the vote seems 50/50, both here at the Forum and with others who have seen it. As it is a theme the final decision will have to wait until more of the images have been completed.

Wall-E I'm not taking Norfolk Mike to task; let everyone produce what they want and let them show their artistic side.I just gave my opinion of the shot as asked.
After looking at the colour version I can see sepia gets close to the original. How about printing it on cream paper, so you get to keep the blacks; or have it how its builders saw it - full colour?
Architectural photos are full of lines and angles and generally look sharp. Black and whites contrast enhances this whereas sepia softens images. Lets not forget sepia caught on because commercial photographers could sell it as an extra as it gave prints a longer life. It also made skin look a little bit more natural and the softer look goes well with portraits (which is what most people were buying); and with a lot of stuff that has a low dynamic range. I have good reason to be pleased my ancestors spent the extra money so I could see them now. But when I renovate those old photos they look better restored to the way they came out of the fixer dish - black & white.

(Nov 5, 2013, 12:05)epicurus Wrote:  Wall-E I'm not taking Norfolk Mike to task; let everyone produce what they want and let them show their artistic side.I just gave my opinion of the shot as asked.
After looking at the colour version I can see sepia gets close to the original. How about printing it on cream paper, so you get to keep the blacks; or have it how its builders saw it - full colour?
Architectural photos are full of lines and angles and generally look sharp. Black and whites contrast enhances this whereas sepia softens images. Lets not forget sepia caught on because commercial photographers could sell it as an extra as it gave prints a longer life. It also made skin look a little bit more natural and the softer look goes well with portraits (which is what most people were buying); and with a lot of stuff that has a low dynamic range. I have good reason to be pleased my ancestors spent the extra money so I could see them now. But when I renovate those old photos they look better restored to the way they came out of the fixer dish - black & white.
I am still getting a lot of feedback on the subject so am now trying some images in full colour as well as black and white. I asked for critique and am pleased with the feedback as the project is expected to take three to five years so getting as much right at the start is very important for me. Once again, thanks to all who have responded. NorfolkMike Smile

Leave the gutters and drain pipes where they are! Builders in 1683 had to deal with rain the same as we do - gutters/drain pipes are not a modern invention.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jan 23, 2016, 10:56
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Nov 17, 2015, 03:19