Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Images from Morocco

I recently returned from Morocco and Spain. I have hundreds (nay - thousands) of photos. I won't bore you with too many, but maybe a few just to give the flavor of these remarkable countries. Morocco first.

I really like this one. Many Islamic people are very reluctant to have their photo taken, and I often felt like a voyeur to do so. Hopefully, if there is any sin involved, it is on me and not on my reluctant models. The beauty of the people and the land is extraordinary.

[Image: By%20the%20River.jpg]

The Djemaa el Fna square in Marrakech is a wonder. In the cold days of February like this, it is less crowded than usual - but still has a life of its own, The smoke and the smells of the stalls and open air restaurants, the calls of the sellers, the clammer of hundreds of people going about their business, amazing fruit and vegetables, crafts, snake charmers and beggars.

[Image: Main%20Square.jpg]

The leather tannery in Fes. You thought you had a crummy job? How would you like to be up to your waist in chemicals and dye for 12 hours a day?

[Image: Tannery%20Detail.jpg]

The souks in the Medina of Marrakech are amazing. A labyrinth of hundreds of twisty streets without names selling everything imaginable. Each of the thousands of shops tells its own story. This fellow sells sweets. pastries, dates and delicacies.

[Image: Vendor.jpg]

Morocco is a wonderful place to lose yourself and just take some time to sit and experience life. Stop here for a glass of mint tea, maybe...

[Image: Chaouen%20Cafe.jpg]

New lamps for old...

[Image: Lamp%20Souk.jpg]

You get comfortable and forget that you are in a foreign land for a while until you come upon a severed camel's head on a hook as a sign for a specialty meat market...

[Image: Camel%20Head.jpg]

If it gets too alien, head back to your ryad (guest house) to relax. Lost? Don't worry. There are plenty of signs to direct you.

[Image: Arabic%20Signs.jpg]

Great Series Rob, really provide a look at the land.

Great stuff!
Thanks for sharing--I really enjoyed it.

Thanks guys - it was quite a trip...

A flavour of the east, or west depending which way round you go.
I remember the Cairo kasbah being similar and strange, got a bit too far in for my liking. I half expected to finish up like the camel. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:A flavour of the east, or west depending which way round you go.
I remember the Cairo kasbah being similar and strange, got a bit too far in for my liking. I half expected to finish up like the camel. :/
Yes - I was in the Khan el-Khalili in Cairo about 20 years ago. The Marrakech Souks seem somewhat wilder to me - or maybe it is just that Cairo seems more established to me. Who can say? I got lost many times in the Marrakech Medina - but never felt threatened or in danger - unlike the camel...

Super pics Toad. Thanks for sharing!

I can't praise these enough.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks you guys - taking interesting pictures is easy in a place like this.

The lamps shot is awesome.

Canon stuff.

Thanks muchly...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 3, 2016, 10:22