Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's a LLLLLLLLLLLLense!

yeah, I did it! I got my new EF 24-70 L today!
Not surprisingly, it looks great, feels great, smells great.....

I am delighted to find that its autofocus performs much much better than the 100mm macro's at low light, which is important for me at my friend's wedding.

And I love it's range already, it seems much more useful to me than the kit lense's 18-55mm and I think I will be using its full range all the time. suites me well.

Here is a nice snap, taken as I was walking through our neighbourhood:
[Image: motorrad.jpg]

Now in terms of sharpness, it's definitely unbeatable sharp at realtively short distances.

And I don't know what to expect from a lense with further away subjects.
I took a shot of these girls in the park, at 70mm, they were about 30m away from me I guess. How sharp can an object at that distance be at a focal length of 70mm?

[Image: Auf%20der%20Wiese.JPG]

and here is a 100% crop of one of the girls, on whose face I had focused:

[Image: Auf%20der%20Wiese_crop.jpg]

then in another picture, something weird is going on in the dark areas, I don't remember seeing this in pictures taken with the 100mm Macro. But maybe I just never paid attention to so much detail in dark pictures.

Here is the full size picture, taken at 66mm focal length.
[Image: Im%20Dunkeln.JPG]

...and a 100% crop of one of the guys' head:

[Image: Im%20Dunkeln_crop.jpg]

Look at his hair and the trees in the background. I took this at ISO 100, 1/160sec and F/9.
Can anyone explain to me?

Uli

Looks sharp with good color. Congratulations.

Hi Uli,

So glad you are happy with the lens - autofocus is very good on the 24-70. My monitor here a work is really quite awful and I can't quite see what you are referring to on the guy's head.

Canon stuff.

Great stuff Uli. I'm not sure what you are referring to in the guy image either. It is pretty dark. Is that what you mean.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I might be way over-fussy, looks like noise or something to me, but it was quite dark and he was aways from me....

I'm definitely happy! actually, the lense isn't that much heavier than the 100mm macro, which I am used to carrying around with me. good thing my cam is light :-)

I think it's fine Uli - the noise is so minimal and it is very dark.

Canon stuff.

I bought a Sigma 24-70 a while ago and initially was worried about the range, being used to the 18mm kit lens, however I love the 24-70 and it has hardly been off my camera since!

Congratulations on your purchase. Smile

your so lucky!!! congrats on the new lens........... Smile

congrats on new lens! pics pics pics!

Congrats Uli Smile

I got to use Chris' EF 24-70L yesterday (on both his 5D and my 30D). It was my first play with that lens, and while I only took a few test shots, it seems to do its thing very well. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.