Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's worth WHAT?

I went into Jessops today. :o Ok, I know that was incredibly STUPID of me, but all I wanted was another optical slave module, and I knew they had one at an average price. :|
So, yeah, anyway......... I happened to say, "IF I traded my 10D body against a 5D body, how much would you give me?" :/
Now, I am CLEARLY an idiot. This is like asking a miner to buy a lump of coal.....AND, I might add, a somewhat surly miner. Rolleyes

So.
This guy rummages through his computer lists, looks a bit odd, eyes me carefully to check I have no weapons, double checks his display, and says, "is it mint?" Smile
"MINT?" I bark at him. No, it's been working!! How can it be mint? That's ridiculous!!!" :x
"Hmm" he says. "Not mint, then?" :/
"No. Not mint!!!! It's a tool fer Pete's sake!! :x
"Hmmm" :|

Well, how much???? :x
........Shop assistant steps away from mad dog, and says......"W-e-l-l..... If it was MINT, then I'd give you............................ . . . . . . . . .

"One hundred and forty pounds!" Big Grin
£140! :o
£140!! :x
$247 USD
$324 AUD

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Cave canem

Haha...I'll give you 150! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

HAH! SO CHEAP? HAH!!!
maybe he'll sell it for a lot more after that Wink

super use of emoticons Tongue
did you really say the "that's ridiculuous" part? ahahah

They're pretty cheap these days. I know several photographers here that have sold them for $500-600 recently.

Most places have a 200-300% mark up on used gear... so it's about what I would of expected... doesn't make it sensible though!

Ebay is a calling!.

Adam asks: did you really say the "that's ridiculuous" part? ahahah

Well Adam. I was in a pub a few nights ago. This is MOST unusual for me, but a good friend came visiting, so I went out with him.

The bar had sounds playing loudly, so I walked up to the barman (who I'd never met b4), and said:
"I say my man, do you not have any music, then?" Big Grin
The barman eyed this rough little Terrier with caution, and said: "Erm, yes sir.... This IS music playing now!" :o

"No, my man, barked I. This is NOT music, this, is a noise!" :x

Cave canem

Sympathy. Unfortunately used camera equipment seems to be worth next to nothing. The camera stores in Vancouver won't even take it in trade anymore - this is particularly true of digital cameras that become "obsolete" so quickly. Film cameras retain their value better, but nobody is buying them. What are you supposed to do?

I am seriously planning to upgrade soon, but not sure which direction to go - Nikon definately - so that I can use my current lenses - but then what do I do with my F100 and A2? No buyers for either one. The A2 is a great carry-around camera but doesn't use my Nikon glass and is pretty noisy above ISO 100. The F100 is a wonderful camera, but I do so much post processing in my work that the need to constantly scan slides to digital just doesn't make sense work-flow wise.

The D70s looks good but I can't help thinking that 6 MPx is pretty much at end of cycle. My A2 has 8 Mpx and I use every bit of it because I tend to crop like mad to get in close to my subjects - and now I am doing gallery size prints as well. That lets out D100, D2h etc.

D2X is just too expensive - $6000 Cdn for a camera body is just not going to happen anytime soon.

Hoping for a 10-12 Mpx semi-pro camera body from Nikon before Xmas - I can wait a bit as I still have other cameras. The usual rumour mills (cough...dpreview...cough) are discussing a potential D200 release. IF it has 10-12 Mpx resolution, an onboard flash to act as the master for my SB800, and a F100-like viewfinder, they may have a customer - especially if it comes in less than $2500 Cdn.

The 5D looks pretty good - but it is priced out of my league at $4000 Cdn even if it was a Nikon.

Money. :o
What a pain eh? :x

I've no idea how to afford a 5D, but I'm working on it, and expect a price drop within months, (I hope!). Big Grin

As far as Nikon go, I'd guess, (and it is only a guess), that they have something "up their sleeves" to rival Canon. :/

In a way, the lack of value of the 10D and others is good....... Sort of......... At least it means I will probably end up with two bodies, and that cant be all bad Big Grin ...... Probably. :/

Cave canem

Well, the full frame aspect of the 5D is pretty attractive in that it utilizes lenses as they have been designed - rather than cropped to 1.5/1.6 magnifications. The extra sensor area to put the pixels in also will likely reduce noise. The opportunity to buy fast wide angle lenses is also a great plus. Plus - I am sure the 5D is a great camera in its own right if the 10D and 20D are any indication.

Matthew Saville (remember him?) posting over at dpreview makes the point that the main thing he likes about full frame is the ability to have a much larger and brighter viewfinder - and I agree totally with that. I LOVE the viewfinder on my F100. The EVF on my A2 looks absolutely feeble in comparison (and it is considered best of breed as far as EVF goes)..

IMO though, a full frame sensor is a "nice to have" and not a necessity. ALL of the current crop of digital SLRs take good enough pictures for almost everybody that uses them. Sensor noise is not really much of an issue unless you are pixel peeping at 100% crop factors. Even at ISO 1600 and above, the current crop of DSLRs are all pretty satisfactory. I would have a hard time rationalizing the 5D over the 20D given the huge price difference.

The number of people that need the extra features that a top-line pro SLR offers are a lot less than those who "think" they need them... Big Grin We should all just admit that it is a matter of "want" rather than "need". Not that there is anything wrong with want - it is a hobby after all, and a handful of us make a few dollars at it.

I like the idea of having 2 camera bodies, but I can't say that I would use the old one that much. It is nice to not have to change lenses at a wedding or some other gig, but it is a pain to carry 2 bodies with lenses attached.

The best place I've found to sell and buy used gear is Fred Mirand's buy/sell forum. Those people are gearheads and they know the value of good-condition equipment. Not sure if you'll have much luck being in the UK, but for North Americans it's a good resource.

Next best place is ebay. Set an adequate reserve, be forthright in the description, and you'll get a decent price.

The only thing I've sold to a dealer was that old Sigma POS lens - remember one with the flaking interior coating, Ruf? I believe you had the same. I wouldn't have felt right selling it to an individual with its problems, but the dealer was going to clean it up prior to resale. I got a fair price, all things considered - more than Jessops is offering for your 10D!!! :o

Mr Toad. Yes. What you say is pretty much true.... One reason I really want to go to FF is a really silly one..... Wait for it................................................................................. :|
I feel that it's like "coming home" back to a true 35mm type camera. Big Grin
Yes, I know.... That's a pretty stupid thing for a dog to say, but it's there, sneaking around in my subconscious, hassling and pestering me....... :/

Mathew Saville. Did Jamie scare him off?? I mean, that James, he's a pretty scarey gorilla, 'eh? Big Grin

Slej........ Yes, I had a flakey Sigma. I'd forgotten that you did too.
I got a fair price, all things considered - more than Jessops is offering for your 10D!!!

Argh!!! :x

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:One reason I really want to go to FF is a really silly one..... Wait for it................................................................................. :|
I feel that it's like "coming home" back to a true 35mm type camera. Big Grin

Well, I guess I can understand that - I grew up in the 35mm world as well.

But isn't the 35mm film size pretty arbitrary as well?

Anybody know the origin of that partcular film size? It was likely some absolutely mundane decision based on a prior technology or manufacturing limitations.

Still - no question that FF offers some advantages - but maybe not $2000 US worth...

Rufus Wrote:"No, my man, barked I. This is NOT music, this, is a noise!" :x

Now that's my kind of Terrier!

I recently asked a waiter to pass on my condolences to the chef at the death of his horse.... when he looked confused I replied "Well as I was just served his saddle I assumed the horse was dead."

The manager came out and actually comped the meal as the steak was really that bad.

Toad Wrote:Anybody know the origin of that partcular film size? It was likely some absolutely mundane decision based on a prior technology or manufacturing limitations.

Yes ... Kodak cut its standard 70mm film in half! It had a customer ... some guy named Edison ... who wanted a smaller format film for his new invention, the Kinetiscope, later known as the motion picture camera. Smile.

Quote:Legend has it that when Edison was asked by his workers how wide to cut the film (which was manufactured by the Eastman company), he held up his thumb and forefinger and said "About this wide."

Thats a good story, I've never really thought about the origin.

I might have scared Matthew off but I'm not sure how but anything is possible!

bold!

tell me more of your barkings.
it's entertaining Big Grin
Rufus Wrote:Adam asks: did you really say the "that's ridiculuous" part? ahahah

Well Adam. I was in a pub a few nights ago. This is MOST unusual for me, but a good friend came visiting, so I went out with him.

The bar had sounds playing loudly, so I walked up to the barman (who I'd never met b4), and said:
"I say my man, do you not have any music, then?" Big Grin
The barman eyed this rough little Terrier with caution, and said: "Erm, yes sir.... This IS music playing now!" :o

"No, my man, barked I. This is NOT music, this, is a noise!" :x

Ok, thanks Adam. Smile

I do have the "Drunken lawnmower" story, but it's a bit long so I'll do it in a day or so.
I think you'll like it! Big Grin

Cave canem

Quote:=slejhamer]
Toad Wrote:Anybody know the origin of that partcular film size? It was likely some absolutely mundane decision based on a prior technology or manufacturing limitations.

Yes ... Kodak cut its standard 70mm film in half! It had a customer ... some guy named Edison ... who wanted a smaller format film for his new invention, the Kinetiscope, later known as the motion picture camera. Smile.

Quote:Legend has it that when Edison was asked by his workers how wide to cut the film (which was manufactured by the Eastman company), he held up his thumb and forefinger and said "About this wide."

Cave canem

StudioJ Wrote:I might have scared Matthew off but I'm not sure how*** but anything is possible!

Not sure how?? :o
It's the 'orrible 'airy fingers wot did it!! Big Grin

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Pegger3D
Jan 21, 2015, 15:26