Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shooting indoors in low light conditions

Hello All

So I want to shoot in the aperture mode, indoors in low light conditions, but am unable to get quality photos without blurs through faster shutter speeds. The only setting I can adjust is the aperture.

So how do I get to choose the correct aperture with a faster speed? Should I be shooting in the M mode?

(PS: Have a Nikon D5100 with a Nikkor 50mm fixed prime lens)

Cheers
Samy

(Apr 22, 2013, 11:19)samyshah Wrote:  Hello All

So I want to shoot in the aperture mode, indoors in low light conditions, but am unable to get quality photos without blurs through faster shutter speeds. The only setting I can adjust is the aperture.

So how do I get to choose the correct aperture with a faster speed? Should I be shooting in the M mode?

Cheers
Samy
I'm not a nikon boy but i think your camera has an iso speed range of 100 to 6400
Have you checked to see what iso speed you are shooting at ?
100 iso will give you a slower shutter speed than 6400 so adjust the iso higher to get a faster shutter speed. Wider apertures like f1.8 increase shutter speed.

A couple of points
f1.8 gives a higher speed but a shallower depth of field than eg f4
Setting a higher ISO number increases shutter speed but may dramatically increase camera generated noise in pictures.

So test at different iso's and 'f' stops for faster shutter speeds to stop blurring.
can't see any reason to have to shoot on 'manual'. Would give 'aperture priority' mode a go. hoo roo ..jim

(Apr 25, 2013, 06:37)jim truscott Wrote:  [quote='samyshah' pid='86710' dateline='1366651195']
Hello All

Cheers
Samy
I'm not a nikon boy but i think your camera has an iso speed range of 100 to 6400
Have you checked to see what iso speed you are shooting at ?
100 iso will give you a slower shutter speed than 6400 so adjust the iso higher to get a faster shutter speed. Wider apertures like f1.8 increase shutter speed.

A couple of points
f1.8 gives a higher speed but a shallower depth of field than eg f4
Setting a higher ISO number increases shutter speed but may dramatically increase camera generated noise in pictures.

So test at different iso's and 'f' stops for faster shutter speeds to stop blurring.
can't see any reason to have to shoot on 'manual'. Would give 'aperture priority' mode a go. hoo roo ..jim

Hi,

in the custom settings of the D5100 you will find an auto ISO priority setting that will allow you to set a maximum ISO speed and then you can use Aperture priority and let the camera sort out the shutter and ISO speed itself. Worked fine for me but my eyesight is so bad that I probably could not even see the noise.

Shoot in M mode with the widest aperture (lowest f stop) your lens supports. Set the shutter speed to 1/80th or 1/100th, and set the ISO to AUTO if your camera supports it. Otherwise, set the ISO to whatever you need to get an acceptable picture. (Experiment). If you are shooting people (who tend to move) you may have to set the shutter speed to 1/125th.

Cheers
Samy

Why do you think that "The only setting I can adjust is the aperture"????

Your camera has the ability to change all three legs of the exposure triangle, Shutter speed, aperture f stop, and ISO.

And you can *allow* the camera to change any of those to make a 'reasonable' exposure.

If you're shooting in Av mode, then YOU control the aperture, and the camera is controlling the shutter (and the ISO if it's on AUTO).

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF UPPING YOUR ISO TO GET THE APERTURE/SHUTTER SPEED YOU WANT. If this doesn't work for you, then you'll need to learn to use flash. Or buy a D7100.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Why do you think that "The only setting I can adjust is the aperture"????
Your camera has the ability to change all three legs of the exposure triangle, Shutter speed, aperture f stop, and ISO....and etc (snipped for convenience)

This response sounds about right dude...as in explore said 'triangle' fully and see what your results yield. I am a great believer in 'farting about' with settings until I stumble upon the desired result. Once I've stumbled upon said desired result, I then have the all the required data of the moment to study and assimilate at my leisure.

Cheers
Samy
I had some excellent experimental portrait shots indoors this year as I could not get out. For instance- .Black background no lights except one fat red candle -out of view, or with model holding it. For some I set my trusty Canon 400D on auto and tripod and allowed it to do it's best. Some I metered. Well worth it all on what would have been boring evenings. Others I used tracing paper taped to my kitchen window and let the sun shine through flower petals.Some I blutacked a flower head to the paper.Printed on matt paper they looked like delicate watercolours
Things to do when one cant stand for long.
It made me realize that usually I'm so busy taking pictures,I have got lazy (so easy nowadays) how exciting it is to 'set up and experiment.

This posts is very informative. Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post