Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for Lens for Canon Rebel xti (digital)

Am a bit confused on so many types of lenses for my Canon Rebel xti... Can you recommend a good lens for everyday shooting?

michaelg

I have the xti (400D in Australia) and would choose the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 or the EF 17-40mm f/4 and the 50mm f/1.4 for portraits, the 17-40mm is great for landscapes and I also use it for a walkaround - the EF-S 17-55 is a bit pricey but has excellent reviews. Eventually you will need a longer lens, plenty to choose from when you have a better idea of what you want.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

mgalvin Wrote:Am a bit confused on so many types of lenses for my Canon Rebel xti... Can you recommend a good lens for everyday shooting?

michaelg
how about sharing with us your:
(a) budget
(b) preference of shots (i.e. landscape / travel / portraits?)

that will help Smile

Plenty of reviews on http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
scroll down to Canon, and then all the other brands.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hi Michael, welcome to Shuttertalk.

Do you already have the 18-55 kit lens? If you do, then are you looking for a lens in the same range to replace it, or wold you like a longer lens to add to it? And, as Championboxer writes, knowing what kind of photography you like and your price range will help people make suggestions.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

It's great to be part of the forum. Yes, I just bought the 18-55mm for everyday shooting and now looking for a longer lens to shoot my kids action sports.

Do I want an IS lens? Would a good lense be a CANON EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens? What do you recommend that I could locate on craigslist and/or ebay on a small budget?

So many to choose from and starting to learn a little more.

Budget? Oh yeah, I'm on the budget Smile

Thanks again...

michaelg

My Tamron 70-300mm Macro is a bit soft and drops to f5.6 which is not good in low light, but is good value for the money. I would love an L series but would baulk at the weight of them.
I agree that the best you can afford of a recognised brand, should give you the best results but with the warning that, you have to learn its good and bad points.
I would imagine this also goes for the best Canon/Nikon glass also.

It also depends on how far you wish to proceed with photography as a hobby/profession.Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

If you are happy with the 18-55 than you will probably be ok with the 75-300 quality. Personally they are both not so great - but budget is always the issue.

If you could stretch it a bit I would recommend the Canon 70-200 f4 L as it is a fantastic lens and can be had quite cheaply these days as everyone wants the IS version.

Cheers,

Chris.

Canon stuff.

Maybe the 17-85 IS for a step up from the kit lens? Has a good working range and IS as well...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post