Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Jocko's Photo Diary.

Nowt wrong with that. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi John,

Nothing wrong with your image of 'Lucy', from a JPG (Joint Photographic Experts Group). So as this format was devised by 'experts' in my opinion there should be nothing wrong with it. Although, in fairness I suppose it depends how and who is defining the word 'Expert'.

In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures of 'our Lucy' taken this past Christmas. These are also JPG.s Smile Usual info, Nikon D300 & Nikkor 18 - 200 lens.

She's grown quite a bit in her first year. Well so says proud granddad. Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

(Jan 19, 2016, 13:58)Jocko Wrote:  Today, after our discussions on raw v JPEG, I picked up my Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and took some photos of my star "model", Lucy...
...Here are the two images, as a JPEG image straight from the camera, and after a lot of exposure compensation.

That's good work, John - a nice image and a Luvly Lucy! Smile

One point I don't think I've mentioned before, is that over the past four years I have recorded about 400 GB of image files. I know storage is not that expensive but, as I have all my files backed up on three separate devices in three separate places, that's already a total of about 1.6 TB. That would probably have to be multiplied by at least three times, if I had also saved raw files for each image. I just couldn't be bothered with all that additional data, when raw files are usually not necessary.

One point I might have mentioned before somewhere, is that my DSLR gives me the option to save a raw file after the camera has produced its JPEG. Until I take the next photo (or turn the camera off), the raw data is stored in the memory buffer. So I can look at the JPEG on the camera's rear screen and, if it seems necessary, I can then also save the raw file for that image by pressing the AE-L button. You will probably not be surprised when I admit that I have hardly ever used that clever feature. Wink

Cheers.
Philip

Phil. Lovely photos of a gorgeous little girl. Unfortunately all my grandchildren are boys. I would have loved a granddaughter.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Philip. The saving function on your camera sounds a great idea. I save my images to a folder on my laptop, to a folder on my external hard drive, to a rolling camera specific set of CD's (both an Archive copy and a Backup copy), and to a rolling set of DVD's (Archive and Backup). By rolling I mean Vol 1, 2, 3 etc. Once one is full I move onto the next.
I call all images by the location, person (in groups I name them left to right), description etc, followed by the date. So that would be "Tom, Dick and Harry, Somewhere 20-1-16". This protocol stems from when I came to scan old family photographs. I was finding family groups with people I didn't recognise and in locations that were strange to me. The people who could have told me who they were, were long dead. I then found a set of prints my father had sent his parents from wartime Ceylon, and on the back, in tiny neat writing was all the information I needed. That made me decide to notate my work. After all, what I am producing is a historical archive, if only for the family.
With Exif data and now, in some devices GPS positioning, modern cameras record so much data without the casual photographer even knowing.
One final word on data storage. You have to continually update and refresh your stored material. How many people have data stored on 5.25" floppy disks, or 3.5" diskettes, which they can no longer readily access?

Two crackers Phil, cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 20, 2016, 01:58)Jocko Wrote:  One final word on data storage. You have to continually update and refresh your stored material. How many people have data stored on 5.25" floppy disks, or 3.5" diskettes, which they can no longer readily access?

Exactly! Another reason I'm pleased not to have to keep backing up 4 TB of raw data files! Wink

Cheers.
Philip

Bought a cheap bag for keeping my Dimage Z3 in. £9.99. Does the trick great.

Regarding saving files, I just realised today, that with the number of photos I am posting, I could so easily lose track and post an image more than once. So as of today I am saving the small images I upload, into a separate folder. Before I post an image now, I will tell it to "copy to", and if it flags up that it already exists, I'll know I have lost a few more brain cells!

Started out a lovely day here, so I decided to go out with a camera. Unfortunately by the time I roused myself the sun had decided we had had enough for a January day!
I went down to the Esplanade, because all week there had been a few ships anchored out in the Forth. Today there was two. Talk about the only luck being bad luck. I did manage to get some shots, and met a group of lovely lady cyclists, who asked me to take their picture with one lady's iphone.
So here is a challenge. Below is a JPEG image, straight from the camera and I would like to see what the members can do with it. Meanwhile I will see what the raw image produces. I have uploaded as big an image as I can.

Nikon D80, 70-300mm lens, 1/125 sec. f8, ISO 100, Manual mode, 70mm lens equivalent.

I have difficulty seeing the light meter through the viewfinder, so usually take a test shot and adjust to the histogram, hence the gross overexposure.

2 mts. via P/S. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Nice stylized image there, Ed.

(Jan 20, 2016, 01:37)Jocko Wrote:  Phil. Lovely photos of a gorgeous little girl. Unfortunately all my grandchildren are boys. I would have loved a granddaughter.

Thank you John.

You know, I had no preference at all in regards a grandson or granddaughter. All I wanted was that whatever we were given was healthy and normal and that all the appropriate bits worked. Thankfully, that was what happened. In saying that, now that we have our granddaughter, a grandson in the future would be most welcome. I have to give thanks for a marvelous son and daughter-in-law and the same for my daughter and her partner. Not to mention my wife, who, clucks like a mother hen when we 'babysit' our granddaughter.

My apologies for 'boring to death' all of those who are not grandparents.

Best regards.

Phil.

(Jan 23, 2016, 09:23)EdMak Wrote:  2 mts. via P/S. Ed.

Love the 'sepia' treatment Ed. Of course the original image had to be good to 'pull it off'. So well done to both of you. Smile

Cheers.

Phil.

(Jan 23, 2016, 10:25)Phil J Wrote:  I had no preference at all in regards a grandson or granddaughter. All I wanted was that whatever we were given was healthy and normal and that all the appropriate bits worked. Thankfully, that was what happened. In saying that, now that we have our granddaughter, a grandson in the future would be most welcome.
Same here, but once you have four grandsons a granddaughter would be nice! Maybe a great granddaughter.

Here is what I did with the troublesome image. As I have said elsewhere. I like realism in my images. And as for the "sepia tint". That was in fact the colour of the day.

Attached Files Image(s)

Either one of the 'treatments' of that image are good to better Smile. It makes me rather envious John, that you have the available seascape virtually on your doorstep. Gloucestershire is a lovely place to live, but, having been born and brought up by the seaside, the older I get, the more I miss it and this image of yours drives that home to me. Well done those men!!

Regards.

Phil.

Did someone say grandchildren?

I have five: here's the latest addition in December with her great grandmother.

Phil - your Lucy shots are terrific. Well done, matey!

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Lovely little girl, Jeff. What is she called?

Presenting Raya Rosanna...

Cheers

Jeff

A beautiful name for a beautiful girl.

Spent the last couple of days working on Saturday's images. Nothing much worthy of note. Here are a few of the results. All Nikon D80, 70-300mm lens, ISO 100

1/125 sec, f8, 105mm lens equivalent.

1/125 sec, f6.3, 129mm lens equivalent.

1/125 sec, f8, 232mm lens equivalent.

Straighten the Lamppost, LH side? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

It is the lamppost that is squint, not the image. If you notice, all the small lampposts to the left of that are square, as are those in the distance. It is only the two prominent ones that are a bit off. I had contemplated straightening them, but the lamppost on the Esplanade take the full brunt of the wind and waves, and as a result are all at various angles.

Ta, in that case they will be getting a good blow today! Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59