Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Jocko's Photo Diary.

Saw an interesting car parked next to my lock up, on Wednesday. It was a 1936 Hotchkiss 686. This car is used for Hill climb speed trials, so is not mollycoddled. I took some photographs, using the camera on my phone. Here are the results.

Nokia N8-00, Auto mode, 1/200 sec, f2.8, ISO 102.

Nokia N8-00, Auto mode, 1/115 sec, f2.8, ISO 105.

Nokia N8-00, Auto mode, 1/100 sec, f2.8, ISO 159.

I think the 160 speedometer is a bit optimistic, even if it is possible reading in KPH as against MPH.

The settings are all arbitrary settings chosen by the camera. I have no idea how, or even if. I could change these settings.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Didn't just take photographs of the Flying Scotsman, the other evening. Here is a photograph of the soon to be completed Queensferry Crossing, over the Forth.

Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6mm VR lens, Manual mode, 1/400 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 183mm lens equivalent, processed with Lightroom and Nik Software.

Today was my rescheduled flying lesson. It was brilliant. Pilot took off, climbed to 2500', gave me control, I flew round for 30 minutes then handed back to the pilot for landing. It was very blustery and rough and I loved it. Mrs T, sitting in the back was less enthusiastic. It took the best part of the hours drive home for her stomach to land, and to start getting more than monosyllables out of her!
I didn't take a camera (just as well really), as I didn't want her to miss out on the flight by trying to take photographs. I did take one of G-ISLY, a Cessna 172, which was my steed for the flight, using my Nokia phone.
And here it is. Taken at Scone (Perth Airport), today.

Nokia N8-00, 1/1700 sec, f2.8, ISO 400, Processed in Lightroom and Nik Software.
I had no other viewpoint of the plane as I had to take this from a corner, behind a barrier, prior to meeting my instructor, Sean.

Here are another couple of photos from yesterday, taken with my camera phone. I am actually quite pleased with the results. I did a bit of playing about with the settings, and found I could improve the output considerably by setting up a Manual, user defined, option.
The camera actually has a Carl Zeiss Tessar, f2.8, 28mm lens and a 12MP sensor.

Cessna 152s.
Nokia N8-00, 1/1250 sec, f2.8, ISO 400, Processed in Lightroom and Nik Software.

Piper Tomahawk

Nokia N8-00, 1/1600 sec, f2.8, ISO 400, Processed in Lightroom and Nik Software.

Attached Files Image(s)

I am warming to the results my camera phone can produce. Here is another I took on Saturday.

Nokia N8-00, 1/1200 sec, f2.8, ISO 400, Processed in Lightroom and Nik Software.

I was playing with the settings again, this evening.
You have three Sensitivity settings, Low, Medium and High. I have been using Medium which gives ISO 400 but have decided to try Low to see what that gives.
You can select Sport, Landscape, Portrait and Night, which obviously adjusts the shutter and aperture settings. I use sport which appears to screw the lens wide open.
I never, ever, use digital zoom. I prefer the software I have on my computer for this, rather than that built into the camera.
One problem I have with Nokia, is Windows 10 refuses to see it, so I have to fire up my old laptop, download to that, stick images on a USB stick, and port them over from there. The phone doesn't have an external SD card so I cannot download to my Windows 10 machine that way.
An even bigger problem is that the screen is total rubbish in sunlight. It is usually just a case of pointing the camera in the general direction of the subject, and hoping it ends up somewhere in the frame!

One last shot from my phone's camera. I think changing the sensitivity sets the RANGE of ISO it selects. This is a flash shot of my cat, Lucy.

Nokia N8-00, 1/35 sec, f2.8, ISO 137, Processed in Lightroom and Nik Software.

Thanks for posting these phone shots John. You have convinced me that I really should try out the camera on my Lumia. I have had it for about 12 months and never taken one shot.
Cheers, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

I believe the Lumia uses the same camera. Nokia became Lumia when Microsoft bought them out.
I wouldn't use the phone as my main camera, but I always have it with me and opportunities for photos often arise when your camera is at home or left in the car.

(May 11, 2016, 14:30)EdMak Wrote:  removing the appendage is a must.

Finally got round to it.

And, worth it. Ed.

To each his own!

That is my photography kicked into touch for a while. On Monday I was rushed to hospital. with a Strangulated Hernia, and after overnight emergency surgery I am now on a slow path to recovery. Got home yesterday but feel like sh*t. Won't be doing much for next 6 weeks as I am not allowed to drive. I am only at the computer now thanks to a large dose of Opiates!

Very, very nasty. So sorry to read this terrible news. Take good care of yourself John and I pray that all goes well for you.
With my wishes for a quick recovery,
Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

That is bad luck, John, and news I didn't want to hear. I was rather hoping that your absence was due to a trip out into the wilds with no internet access, so really sorry to hear about the actual problem.

Very best wishes for a speedy recovery, and perhaps try a bit of indoor/close-up/macro stuff to exercise your shutter finger during your convalescence.

All the very best.
Philip

Hard John, time is the healer, so use it. Had a "Conventional" Hernia op, in the 70's, 10 days in hosp, bed bound for 5. Did make a full recovery. sure | was signed off for 8 weeks, I did do 4/5 weddings towards the end. Commitments made!. Take care. sure you are in great hands. Regards to both. Ed.

To each his own!

Take it easy John, wish you s speedy recovery.

I've not been around much myself the last 2-3 weeks though more due to work issues and resulting "blah" that went with it, though that cleared up yesterday when I quit. Now I have lots of free time in which to get back to what I enjoy.. and I guess find another job!

Take it easy, Jocko. All the best for a swift recovery.

Noticed a marked improvement in my movement and appetite yesterday, and after a good night I am hopeful for another good day. Took Philip's advice and started messing around with some of my previous images, until such time as I am able to get out and take some new ones.
Here is one such image, again of The Flying Scotsman.

Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/250 sec, f5.6, ISO 250, 315mm lens equivalent. Processed in Silver Efex Pro 2.

That is very welcome news John. Keep up the steady progress and don't overdo anything.
Best Wishes, Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

He's back! Big Grin

Best wishes for continued good progress, John.

All the best.
Philip

Great John, keep going. Ed.

To each his own!

It was announced on the news today, that my bridge, due to be completed this year, will not be ready in time. The issue has arisen due to windy weather earlier in the year and was not unexpected. As long as it is complete, and I get to drive across it, before popping my clogs, I will be happy.

Nikon D80. 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/400 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 150mm lens equivalent. Processed in Lightroom, Nik Software and very heavily cloned in Photoshop CS4 (There are heavy power lines running right through the centre of the frame, that cannot be avoided from this viewpoint).

Great job of taking out the power lines, can't see where myself at all.

Super all round John. Ed.

To each his own!

Not quite the "centre" of the frame. but here is the unedited original. Play with it as you wish.

Bit more bite? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59