Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Jocko's Photo Diary.

Hi John. How can a sensor have broken off? (Rhetorical question) I take it that your camera hasn't been dropped or anything happened to occasion 'impact damage' to it? Certainly Ed's suggestions make good sense, even if only as a starting off point, before you 'take screwdrivers' to the beast in anger!!

Best of luck.

Regards.

Phil.

It is a design fault, apparently. A small plastic rivet fails and the answer is to replace it with a small screw. The lens sensor isn't the issue as far as I can tell. You can take the lens off and it doesn't error. The camera body has a hard reset switch. One you operate with a pointed object (why do they always end up with ink on them?). I tried that, with no avail. I did take the battery out but only as long as it needed to get a complete charge.
Maybe I should take the battery out - then try hard reset switch - because obviously there is some back up power to keep clock working while you recharge the battery!!!

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Bought myself a new toy. It is a Nextbase 512G Dash Cam. Stuck it on the car this morning and here is a still from the video. Looks like I will no longer need Mrs Jocko sitting with the Dimage Z3 round her neck, missing all the best shots. It is not a great image but I will work on setting the camera up better and sorting out better capture software. What do you think?

Now that's a better sized image. I can live with that.

A brilliant bit of kit John. I Look forward (like the camera) to seeing some 'Jocko' images of your journeys.

Regards.

Phil.

Must say John that this is one of the best images that I have come across from a Dash - Cam. Most that I have seen tend to be of questionable quality.
Trust that your recovery is progressing well.
Cheers, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I am getting better with each passing day. Not 100% yet, but getting there.

Looks good, image size included, and, good health news. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Yes indeed, it's good to know that you're 'getting there' John. All progress is good progress when on the road to full recovery.

Best regards.

Phil.

Here are another couple of screen grabs from my Dash Cam. It is a Nextbase 512G Ultra, which records in 1080P at 30 fps. The sensor is tiny, a Sony Exmor 2Mp, and the lens is a Sharp six element, 140°, f1.6.
It is possible to set the camera up for still photography, with control of image size, Image quality, WB, ISO (Auto 100, 200 and 400) and exposure correction. It also utilises WDR technology. I have not used it for still photography yet, so I cannot vouch for the quality.

Look great to me John. Ed.

To each his own!

Not a great picture, but here is a photograph of the new girl in my life. Lily.

Nikon D80, Manual mode, On camera flash (+1EV), 1/60 sec, f5.6, ISO 100, Nikon 18.0-55.0mm VR lens, 82mm lens equivalent. Processed from raw in Lightroom 6.6.

Looks a promising model. Ed.

To each his own!

To quote Ed some time ago, "the eyes have it", and of course he was quite right.

Good capture John, cracking shot.

Regards.

Phil.

Not getting much time for photography. At 68 I have gone out and got myself a job! It is supposed to be part time, as a relief driver, but so far it has turned out to be full time. I am having a day off today, but only because I am on chauffeur duty, for Mrs Jocko. Talk about a bus man's holiday. Just as well I enjoy driving.

Not sure if that is a good thing or not LOL... staying busy is important, but so is having time for the things you love to do.

I've done more photography and video shooting in the last 3 months since starting to work for myself, unfortunately, it has all been for clients and not as much fun!

Had a client ask if I did video as well as photo's for their website (I've probably shot less than an hour of video in my life)... mouth opens and out comes "Sure, no problem!" Ended up shooting 20+ short videos for them....

Can you make into's and edit them? "Sure"... learned that in 2 days and they have been happy with the results.

Not sure how starting an SEO and web design company has me shooting photo's and video so much, but at least it has money coming in.

Looking forward to September and a vacation where I can shoot for myself!

(Aug 30, 2016, 12:14)EnglishBob Wrote:  Looking forward to September and a vacation where I can shoot for myself!

Yep, work and photography don't seem to go well together for me either. I was driving up the motorway this morning and the sun was rising and the river meadows and corn fields were covered with a rolling mist and it was just perfect... except I was on the motorway! Thought I might get down to the river close to where I live for some sunset work this evening... alas didn't get home until dark.

Decided to upgrade to Photoshop CC 2015, on subscription. I have it all set up. The basic interface, though different from CS4 I have been using, is so similar to Lightroom, I feel right at home.

Been interesting to hear how you get on. I'm starting to use PS a lot more for those little adjustments that aren't so easy in LR. My version of PS is so old that I've been thinking of upgrading, too. Probably be a while yet as I've just blown my budget on getting my Nikon 70-300 lens repaired.

I elected for monthly subscription and signed up today, for £6.98/month, for Photoshop and Lightroom. The offer says it ended on the 2nd, but they took my application.

I have been working my way through Photoshop CC 2015 using Adobe's "Classroom In A Book", and it has been fun. However, most of what I need to do with my photographs I can do, very successfully, in Lightroom. Photoshop is great for the tricky little things Lightroom doesn't do, but so much of its functionality I do not need to use.
I do like the improved flexibility of being able to slip effortlessly between the two programmes, something I didn't get with my old version of PS and the standalone Lightroom (Lightroom automatically converted to Lightroom CC when I signed up for Photoshop).
I am currently working through a book I bought several years back. It is Katrin Eismann's "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching". Although written for Photoshop 7.0, it is still a great instructional book for today, with tons of workable tutorial material and downloadable images to follow along with.

Many members of the Camera Club's I am involved with use only lightroom, many don't have any other editing software.

As I have said previously, I just can't adjust to it's workflow, so for me it's ACDsee and PS CS6.

My big adjustment at the moment is getting used to using a wacom tablet for editing, bought it last Christmas and have been struggling to adapt to it but after removing my mouse for a few days, I've finally started to get it.

Over the years I have bought a number of books on aspects of digital photography. Because so much of the interface on the new Photoshop CC is different from what I have been used to, I decided to revisit them.
I have been working through Katrin Eismann's "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" (there is a new edition out very shortly), and now I have started on Dan Margulis' "Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction". Both are full of superb tips and techniques, and come with images to follow along with.
As for taking photographs, nada! I haven't had a camera over the door (except my phone), for months. I have taken some of the cats, especially the kitten, but that's it.

One of the hazards involved in colour correcting images in Photoshop.
Lily.........

Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, on board flash, 1/60 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 105mm lens equivalent, processed in Lightroom 6.6.1 and Nik software.

That's a pretty fancy keyboard cover....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59