Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Joys of Night Photography

Hello Everyone. Hope you are all well.

Photographing at night is one of my favorite forms of photography. I shoot with the tripod for some shots other's I handhold the camera. If you are going to handhold you will have to dial up your ISO, which may cause some graininess. However, a trick I do is find a light source such as a street lamp near my subject. That way you don't have to crank up your ISO settings which will cause graininess. Though some graininess works with certain photos depending on your subject. It can give a photo age, which can be interesting. Here are some samples of my night photo work: (please share your work and experiences)

The first image is the State Capital of Minnesota in St Paul, Minnesota. 2nd Photo is of the waterfront in St Paul along the Mississippi River. 3rd photo is of downtown St Paul and the Robert Str Bridge over the Mississippi River. 4th image was my windshield after a rainstorm. Final image is downtown Hastings, Minnesota during a foggy spring evening.

Here are two night photos of the main street in Chesham, Buckinghamshire. The first was taken a couple of years ago, and the second further along the street earlier this year and with a newer camera. Both are from Pentax APS-C DSLRs with a zoom lens, the first at 18 mm, ISO 3200, f/4 and 1/30 sec, the second at 30 mm, ISO 6400, f/8 and 1/30 sec. Both images were captured hand-held and recorded as high quality JPEGs, then later edited in PaintShop Pro on a PC.

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 12, 2017, 12:58)MrB Wrote:  Here are two night photos of the main street in Chesham, Buckinghamshire.  The first was taken a couple of years ago, and the second further along the street earlier this year and with a newer camera.  Both are from Pentax APS-C DSLRs with a zoom lens, the first at 18 mm, ISO 3200, f/4 and 1/30 sec, the second at 30 mm, ISO 6400, f/8 and 1/30 sec.  Both images were captured hand-held and recorded as high quality JPEGs, then later edited in PaintShop Pro on a PC.

Cheers.
Philip
Philip, 

I love the awesome reflections from the wet street in the first photo. 

Chris

Both sets look great.

This is local Memorial at night. (Obviously)! Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 12, 2017, 13:51)EdMak Wrote:  Both sets look great.

This is local Memorial at night. (Obviously)!  Ed.
Interesting winter scene Ed. Thanks for sharing this image. Churches are beautiful subjects. 

Chris

Some excellent night time shots, chaps!

Here's one of mine. Gloucester Docks.

[Image: 16883892847_71249b349f_z.jpg]

Wonderful reflections, delb0y.

Here is a couple of coastal shots from July 2016 - they show the pier at Boscombe in Bournemouth, Dorset. They were taken about 10 minutes apart near nightfall, using a hand-held compact camera - the Panasonic Lumix LX100. Both were JPEGs from the camera taken at ISO 200, f/4.5 and 1/13 sec and edited in PaintShop Pro on the PC. Both have benefited from the effectiveness of image stabilisation technology: 1/13 sec is quite slow for hand-held shots at focal lengths around 80 mm (full-frame equivalent).

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 12, 2017, 15:24)delb0y Wrote:  Some excellent night time shots, chaps!

Here's one of mine. Gloucester Docks.

[Image: 16883892847_71249b349f_z.jpg]
Stunning shot! Love the colors and reflections.

(Apr 12, 2017, 15:29)MrB Wrote:  Wonderful reflections, delb0y.

Here is a couple of coastal shots from July 2016 - they show the pier at Boscombe in Bournemouth, Dorset.  They were taken about 10 minutes apart near nightfall, using a hand-held compact camera - the Panasonic Lumix LX100.  Both were JPEGs from the camera taken at ISO 200, f/4.5 and 1/13 sec and edited in PaintShop Pro on the PC.  Both have benefited from the effectiveness of image stabilisation technology: 1/13 sec is quite slow for hand-held shots at focal lengths around 80 mm (full-frame equivalent).

Cheers.
Philip
Philip,

I like how the pier and light reflection leads your eyes out to sea. Cool composition. 

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post