Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Judging/Comments, on postings.

Referring to this pic, here,

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...you-prefer

Firstly, I do not really like this!! Taken May 2010, very early digital days.

Three of us went down, 60 miles, to see the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, and take some pics. Rain eventually stopped play.

A few weeks later, when we had shared efforts, unknown to me, friend entered one from each of us, into an on line competition The bottom pic was his choice from me. The top one was flash, built in, Konica Minolts Maxuum 5, other, natural light, both taken within one minute.

I got highly commended. Comments were, good uprights, liked the curve of the Bridge repeated in the Glass buildings, and continued in the Millennium Bridge, bottom left, (I was not aware it was there when taken). Front tree repeated, twice behind and to the left. Good overall composition. I had to trim base as seen, there is a car right underneath it.

All judging is at the whim/likes/dislikes/mood etc, of the judge. I remember in 50/60's Camera Club days, judges were few and far between, soon got to know likes/dislikes of those on the circuit. Eventually, the judge's name was not released until after the closing date for entries.
Panel of at least 3 starts to make sense, or something like, Strictly Dancing.

Your thoughts. Thanks. Ed.

I did get at least 3 on above Link!!! See what the outcome is eventually. May give him a choice.

I didn’t like either image, Ed. I agree with the comment that the tree is a distraction of the bridge and vice versa. Also picking an image for someone else is very difficult at the best of times, giving them one of your own images must be even more problematical. I suggest a bottle of wine to go with it.
As for judging, we are having the same discussion at out camera club. I am sure that a few members are put off entering our club competitions because of the external judge’s comments. Getting “good” feedback and then a low mark is as bad as over critical comments. If we hold a comp that is judged by the members themselves we seem to get a wider selection of entries.
From what I have seen of panels the amount of time each image gets is so limited that its a spot decision and as often the judges are asked to give from 1-5 marks, the results, to me, seem very haphazard. I like the feedback from this forum as members appear to have a wide range of experience and view points. I’m not always going to agree with other contributors but it widens my experience by reading and considering them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Wedding Shooter
Mar 4, 2012, 20:54