Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Judging the light.

How many of you have learned how to judge the light using just your eyes and act as your own light meter? How did you learn? Any tips, techniques? Thank you.

It becomes intuitive after quite a bit of shooting. Given a set of conditions, I know what the ISO should be, and the shutter speed and f/stop.

I also know the approximate flash power needed to match ambient. Of course, it's not perfect, so minor adjustments are done in camera. Recently, I got an adjustable ND filter, and that presents another set of variables which requires getting used to.

People can get good with sunny 16 and other such methods, but there is no substitute for a light meter.

I almost exclusively rely on auto metering... guilty as charged! Big Grin

Welcome to Shuttertalk by the way Scottbad! Good to have you here!

(Feb 27, 2012, 21:11)shuttertalk Wrote:  I almost exclusively rely on auto metering... guilty as charged! Big Grin

Welcome to Shuttertalk by the way Scottbad! Good to have you here!

thank you

For me, mainly auto, occasionally cloudy or flash setting. Infrequently setting K, I can adjust between 2500 and 10000 in multiples of 100. Comes in handy for mixed light.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I shoot manually almost all the time - but usually allow the camera to make a guess first and adjust from there. That said - I can usually walk into a room or a church and know what to set the camera to. But it is just because of doing it so many times.

It's like anything really - do it enough and it becomes second nature - there is no short cut.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post