Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just ordered a new printer

I just got my self a new A3+ pigmen ink. printer.

[Image: HP.jpg]

I settled for the HP B9180

Im really excited to see how it performs on diffrent papers.

Anyone using a A3 photo printer ? whats your likes/dislikes ?

What papers do you prefer ?

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I have an Epson R1800. It's a pigment printer that's optimized for printing glossy colour, which it does very, very well. I typically print on Epson's Photo Glossy or Luster papers, but also use Ilford's Smooth Gloss. I've never experimented with more exotic or matte finishes, even though my printer can handle them. I like vivid colour and high saturations, so I have to say that I like the Epson Glossy the best.

I have one photo that I spent a lot of time on, printed with my letter-format Epson R220, and again months later with my R1800. Looking at the R1800 print, I saw details that I hadn't noticed before.

There's really nothing that I dislike about it, except for when it comes time to buy supplies. (That's true for everything, through, including my little R220 and TV remote controls.) I do love the ability to print larger than 8x10. The difference between that and an 11x14 is massive. The photos just have much more presence, and the quality is excellent.

And I'd hardly call the HP 9180 "settling". Congratulations on your choice.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Congratulation Paul!!
Have a lot of fun with your new printer, and let us know how you like the result... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Sounds great matthew.

Well by settling or not, there are alot of printers out there and Hp is cheapest A3+ size printer, even though it seems to hold up pretty well against both the Epson R2400 and the Canon 9500 . My main usage will be printing A3+ quality prints on fine art paper for customers, for larger orders and small prints ill use the lab. Its gonna be fun to be able to print this large and to be able to choose from all kinds of media.

Ill probebly have it by my door early next week.

Stay tuned.

/Paul L.

I use the Canon i9900, it's not a pigment printer but I love it's vibrant output. It's fast and quiet which is what counts for me.

Sure you'll love it, a couple of the camera club guys would give up their right arm before they surrender their HP's.

I really like the grainy matte paper that you used to get from the film developing days ... can you get these for inkjet / pigment printers?

I would imagine so. But in Australia I don't know.
We have computer fairs in the UK, regularly, where many different traders get together, rather like a car boot sale, only indoors. There are all the bits to make your own PC. PC's built up already or to your design. CDs/DVDs with shareware or freeware and (possibly) copy programs on them.And Printers galore along with various brands of Paper. I have seen gloss/matt/holographic/silver/clear film/sticky back seethrough and all in various sizes. And when we go, there always seems to be something new.
They come along maybe monthly at different venues and one in Manchester is every Saturday and Sunday.
The traders do not always go to every fair, so there always seems to be new guys there. And goods are nearly always heavily discounted Tongue

That looks a nice job Paul, and my next printer will not be an Epson. Mainly because I find it wastes a lot of ink. The print head is built in to the printer and the ink cartridges go through a small cleaning cycle every time you switch on. I beleive you could empty the ink cartridges by repeatedly switching on and off, without printing a single photo. Hows that for economy. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I Have the i9950 Canon and love it. I am looking at getting the new Canon A2+ printer which is getting great reviews. The only thing holding me back is a lack of space to put the machine.

Congratulations on your new printer.

Canon stuff.

Hi guys!

I just recived my new HP B9180 today! Wink

Have just installed it and printed a few test pages.

Iv tested one print in A3+ and all i can say is WOW. Its very accurate (comparing to my calibrated monitor) and the IQ and detail is just amazing.

When i opened the box and put it on my desk i was really suprised of the size, i did check before hand how wide it was so it would fit on the deskt, still i was suprised how high "big" it looks. Big Grin

Here is a snap of it on my desk.

[Image: b9180.jpg]

Ill post a litte more detailed impression when iv gotten some more time with it.

/Paul L.

Wow, what a monster! You'll need to get a bigger monitor to compensate! Big Grin

It does look very high - glad it has worked out so well for you.

Canon stuff.

shuttertalk Wrote:Wow, what a monster! You'll need to get a bigger monitor to compensate!
Too funny...

Paul, take another picture with some A3 paper loaded.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Yea Jules, another reason to get that Eizo 24" lol

Here is a shot with a A3+ sheet in the tray.

[Image: b9180_b.jpg]

/Paul L.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by webbd
Jun 24, 2019, 15:42