Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kayaking Australia

Okay, so this is an odd one, but I thought I'd ask...

In April and possibly early May, I will be visiting Australia. Much of the time will be spent visiting relatives and conducting some family business, centered around Adelaide. And, for reasons that are intertwined in the reason for the trip, I'll be traveling with a folding kayak in a backpack. (And Canadians think that Aussies are odd!) I'm looking to get to know the area around Adelaide and Port Broughton (my mother's home town), which is where I'll be spending most of the time, but want to travel a little too.

Making a side trip to the Great Barrier Reef is an obvious move, and I've started finding tour companies there. Adelaide isn't similarly blessed. Another option, possibly replacing the Barrier Reef, would be a trip to New Zealand. Did I mention that I have essentially no paddling experience? Group tours, with beginners in mind, are the order of the day.

Can anyone share some thoughts or experiences? Anything from "you're daft" to detailed suggestions would be appreciated, and they don't have to be kayaking-oriented. I am most interested in spending some time on the water, be it ocean or river (no rapids, please) but I'm also wondering what else to do and see while I'm there.

thanks!

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

You're daft.

And I'm jealous.
I've traveled a bit, but never left my continent.
Spain, Israel, Poland, Peru and Australia/New Zealand are the places I really want to visit.

Big Grin Cool Tongue

Matthew - I think you would enjoy the Snowy Mountains in NSW, do a Google, has just about everything, my husband and I are planning a holiday there next month and will post photographs.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Matthew - I have to admit Adelaide is not the most exciting city but its home for me. I havent tried kayaking but there are a few spots that you may like.

I know there is a dolphin kayak tour on the Port River:
Dolphin tour

Adelaide Mangroves

Hopefully the weather is still nice at that time of year for you. Great weather at the moment about 30'C...

Shane

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Hi all;

Keith, well, yes. And there's an "in continent" joke to be made, but I'll leave it for someone else.
This will actually be my second trip to Australia, but the first one was in 1985. I've changed a bit since then... but I suppose that's to be expected. One can't stay ten forever.

Pat, I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. While the idea of going somewhere called "snowy" is a tough sell for a Canadian at the end of winter, I understand that the area is beautiful (and that there probably isn't any snow in April). My father used to read "The Man From Snowy River" to us as children, so it's an area that I'd like to see. I'll need to see if I have any relatives who would like to go with me.

Shane, thanks for the links. That's exactly the sort of thing that I'm looking for in Adelaide. The "mangroves" especially sounds like a good way to get out with a group, learn the waters, and gain some confidence.

I'm also looking for some areas to explore in Queensland or New Zealand. Air fares will probably decide which one I do, but I also want to see if I can swing through Sydney and spend a day or two. Having family scattered all over is good. Having no fixed return date, and a little play money, is even better.

Now to decide what camera to bring....

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rabid Penguin
Jan 12, 2008, 01:15