Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Keeping Your Camera Still Without Tripod

For those of you with some experience, how do you keep your camera still without a tripod? Many of us do not have access to tripods and we are always looking for some great ideas!

This may seem like a pretty simple question, but we do have some new members just beginning that would love to hear your suggestions!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Chainpod, see here. Ed.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...1-of-these

Use any steady poles, gates or walls to lean on and use it transfer your weight over that. Keep your camera arms close to your chest to remove any movements in it. Saw images on the net but its all copyrighted. With illustrations is much better to understand how to do it.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Chairs, floors, tables, fences, anything, but literally anything stable Big Grin Sometimes when I'm shooting crouched, I use my own knee. Proper way of holding the camera also helps.

(Sep 6, 2013, 16:10)Korry Wrote:  Chairs, floors, tables, fences, anything, but literally anything stable Big Grin Sometimes when I'm shooting crouched, I use my own knee. Proper way of holding the camera also helps.

Absolutely about proper holding technique.
If you camera is a DSLR, then your right hand should be curled around the edge of the body, with your index finger hovering above the shutter button.

Your left hand should be underneath the body, cradling it in your palm, with your fingers in a position to work the zoom and/or focus rings.

A really good example is shown here:
http://www.empowernetwork.com/pliniodela...ld-a-dslr/

Scroll down the page and look at the do's and dont's.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz
Smile 

remember to hold your breath when shooting especially when arms are close to your sides

i have just started using a chain pod, think its great.. Smile

(Sep 9, 2013, 06:30)ellen Wrote:  remember to hold your breath when shooting especially when arms are close to your sides

Unless you suffer from something that makes you shake more than most, that's entirely unnecessary until your shutter speed is 1/100th or slower.
And If I'm consistently shooting at those speeds, I'm on a monopod or a tripod.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Sep 9, 2013, 15:39)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Sep 9, 2013, 06:30)ellen Wrote:  remember to hold your breath when shooting especially when arms are close to your sides

Unless you suffer from something that makes you shake more than most, that's entirely unnecessary until your shutter speed is 1/100th or slower.
And If I'm consistently shooting at those speeds, I'm on a monopod or a tripod.

most people dont realize how much they move when breathing and some people, like me use thier sides to steady the camera esp. when leaning against something or even the way thier arms are positioned semi across thier chest when crouching. It is take a breath, hold press release

When you get to our age, Ed, its best to remember to carry on breathing!

(Sep 5, 2013, 13:28)Barbara G. Wrote:  For those of you with some experience, how do you keep your camera still without a tripod? Many of us do not have access to tripods and we are always looking for some great ideas!

This may seem like a pretty simple question, but we do have some new members just beginning that would love to hear your suggestions!
o

You will need a screw compatible with your tripod thread, a length of stout
chord, about your height in length, and a weight such as a 2 inch washer. Insert the screw into the tripod thread
tie one end of the chord to the washer and the other to the screw. The idea being that you place the washer under one foot and take up the slack on the chord, the chord being taut, will reduce any vertical movement.
I have a condition called Essential Tremor which, as you can imagine, makes photography difficult. This method certainly helps hope that it suits you.
Regards John

This has been a matter I have pondered for awhile, well years to be exact. One solution is a dog lead or leash. simply wrap the dog end around the lens barrel and clip it back on itself, insert your toe into the handle part and gently lift the camera to tention the lead/leash. support the camera body in the correct manner one hand under the lens and one on the grip, not at arms length peering at the lcd screen. This simple device will enable you to use a wider range of shutter speeds than free hand. Not as good as a Tripod or even a monopod but then again you would look a bit silly with your dog attached to a tripod.

Thanks for all the replies! And welcome to the forums for the new members! Glad you are here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Sep 11, 2013, 14:59)Fumangord1 Wrote:  ... Not as good as a Tripod or even a monopod but then again you would look a bit silly with your dog attached to a tripod.

Well.. I can imagine this one happening Big Grin

No one mentioned a bean bag. Rest the camera on the bag, which is resting on a stable surface. Assuming there is such a thing that's usable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post