Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ken Duncan

I went to hear a talk by Ken Duncan (probably Australia's most famous landscape photographer) last night - cost $35.

It was pretty dissapointing to be honest. He seems like a nice guy, but didn't seem to know how to get his point across. Still - it was good to sit there and listen to his heart for photography and his belief in God and the beauty of creation.

The lecture was entitled - Creative Photography Made Easy.

The first half was him going through a how to pocket guide he has written on practical photography - but this was very brief and was more of a buy the book and you can get the answers there.

Then there was some question time and a 20 minute break. A few of us went up to him in the break and he was very approachable and seemed to give clearer answers one on one.

After the break followed more questions and then he discussed some photos he had taken - but more in an anecdotal style. Talking about some of the things that happened on these trips rather than how he actually set up a shot.

I guess it must have been difficult to know at what level to speak as there was a whole spectrum of photographers there (probably about 400 people).

Advice basically came down to the following:

Be a nice/friendly person to other people.
Get out of bed in the morning (more about this later).
Take time to watch the light (but shoot the scene as soon as you arrive in case that is as good as it gets). Smile
Take a spot reading of the shadow and the highlights (did not elaborate further).
If you want to sell your work don't compete at the bottom.
Print your work - don't rely on slideshows, get a portfolio and don't bore people - 30 key shots in it only.
Be prepared before you go.
Don't get hung up on what gear to use - he took pictures with a $250 camera that are now selling for $20,000.
Listen to that still small voice telling you when to stop and take a picture.
Don't listen to people who tell you you can't do it that way - go for it.
Don't be constrained to a certain set of rules on composition.
It is better to get the shot than worry about the technical side so much.
Very important to achieve the correct exposure - don't worry too much about the colour as this can be adjusted if exposure is right.
He often uses two or more exposures to get the dynamic range needed in the picture.
He doesn't like to use filters - in particular a polarizer as it cuts out too much light.

Keep in mind that he specializes in panoramic landscape photography on medium and large fomat based cameras - particularly Linhof. If using 35mm gear he prefers Canon Smile

About the getting up. He told a story about how he was giving a lecture to a group of professional photogaphers. He was asked about getting the shot and he said the most important thing was to get out of bed. Aparently people weren't to impressed with this as it seemed to simple an answer.

Anyway - the next morning he got up early to take a picture of a simple jetty that was on the hotel grounds. Only one other photographer joined him (after seeing him down there from his hotel room). That photo turned out to be a limited edition print which Ken made $1000 profit on each sale (300 prints - you do the math).

He went home $300,000 better off and the others slept in.

Seems simplistic - but it really is about the quality of light you get early in the morning.

He is a Christian and describes himself as an average photographer with a great God.

His website:

www.kenduncan.com.au

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for that awesome writeup. I've got a Ken Duncan photo hanging on my wall, and I do like his photos. I actually met him in person last year at his gallery in Southgate, Melbourne, and I managed to get a free A4 sized print with him personally autographing it. How cool! Big Grin

Some very practical tips there... I suppose though that once you make a name for yourself, like he has, then selling more photos isn't so hard. It's breaking in to the market and getting recognised in the first place that's really difficult.

The free print sounds good. He did talk about the earlier days when he lugged around his portfolio door to door.

It was just the detail (in his talk last night) was missing - everything was kind of skated over. Not enough time I guess.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
May 16, 2006, 18:51