Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kings Park Lights

Hi Christian,

The plane is the Texan T6-B2 trainer - not classified at all! It's basically a PC-9M (the latest model) built under licence from Pilatus by Beechcraft, with a whole heap of avionics that Raytheon has thrown in. They're offering it as a replacement for the current advanced trainer we have here (the PC-9A model), but the word is it probably won't get through. It's rather nice though - the whole cockpit is digital, and it includes both a GPS/INS unit with moving map display, and a heads up display. I've got my miltary instrument rating test next week - it sure would be easier with a HUD! Smile I only ended up getting a couple of shots, and they're all covered in people - they only put it on display for us for a couple of hours, and everyone wanted to check it out.

As for aerial shots, I have a few, but generally when I go up, I'm the one flying. I got a few late last year of Rottnest, but the polarising filter was playing havoc with the perspex windows. Sometimes you have issues with it, sometimes not - unfortunately, this was one of the times we did Sad The three weeks in Exmouth that I have coming up is to complete the military formation qualification tests. Hopefully I'll be able to get some nice aerial shots up there - the coastline is amazing, and the other aircraft will be close by.

Cheers,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Hi guys, I'm Mary...just wondering how I will know you guys at the part of Saturday? Or do I just look for the big camera bags, Big Grin you all sound like you know each other really well. Hope you're willing to let a newbie in... :/

I'm fairly new to Perth and I'm finding my way around but how do I know that I've found the right place??

Mez

Hi Mary,

I'd say you're spot on with the camera bag concept! I've only ever met one of these louts before but I'm quite keen to meet everyone else and newcomers are more than welcome. If Julian gets off his lazy butt I still may even have a t-shirt made up so I can be spotted, I'll probably stand out more than everyone else though given my size and lack of hair Wink

If you are in doubt of where we are meeting exactly... along the city side of Kings Park is a street called "Fraser Avenue" on the park side up the hill is a restaurant called "Frasers" (easily visible by the amount of glass in front of it!) close to directly opposite that is a squat round looking lookout that juts out slightly over the hill. If you go past the restaurant (coming from Thomas Rd side) and turn right at the roundabout there is a large parking area behind the cafe and restaurant.

If you need anymore help feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for that...I have to admit that this is a bit daunting...you guys all seem to know each other and looking at some of the pics posted here is REALLY scary...I'm nor sure if I really am in the right place...but then again...I'm here to improve...so I must be in the right place Big Grin

mez Wrote:looking at some of the pics posted here is REALLY scary...

Oh, were you scared at the pictures we posted of ourselves? Smile haha

I'll try to make it, will confirm closer to the date; have to ask my parents if I'm allowed to meet these internet people, and also must see how many assignments due that week Smile All I know so far is that I've got a mid sem exam on the 16th. Sad

Don't stress about it Mary, I'm here to help and I'm sure others will be just as willing. I'm not great with landscapes and the like but I have taken quite a few.

If you're going to take some photos something important for these kind of shots is a tripod or even something squishy to rest your camera on. I have two spares I'm bringing along so if anyone needs one it shouldn't be a problem. You're more than welcome to bring your other half and the pugs along if you want.

StudioJ Wrote:If Julian gets off his lazy butt .....

yes, if he gets off his lazy bottom and starts running very fast, he'll get here in time for the meetBig Grin
haha

Oh and for the boys.. I'm shooting at Miss Motorsport after the meet on Saturday night. I can't get anyone in for free (entry is a gold coin donation to the Breast Cancer Foundation) so if you want to come along and watch some girls on the catwalk and have a drink (maybe on me! Tongue) let me know.

I'd prefer to see StudioJ in action... haha Smile
And I just asked my mum when my aunty is coming back (aunty = tripod! well, she's coming back with my tripod) she comes back next week on monday! ahhh! Sad faster faster faster!

Miss Motorsport, does that means there will be cars and bikes there?

Hey Mez,

Never fear.. I'm a newbie here too! I have only been on this forum for a month, and have never met anyone from here face-to-face before.
As far as "intimidating photographers" go, I have found them to be among the least intimidating and most welcoming people around.
I think its rare to find a forum like this that seems to have a fairly diverse range of styles, ages, levels of experience and backgrounds, yet be so harmonious. I think everyone simply seems to realise that "their way" isn't necesarily the only way, and respect the opinion of others.

The fact that I have only been here a month yet feel quite comfortable meeting these people for the first time illustrates how easy they seem to be to get along with.
And don't worry about your level of experience.. EVERYONE had to start from scratch at one time or another and I think to a certain extent everyone is probably a bit insecure about their own abilities at times too. I'm sure nobody will pick on you! Wink

And being new to Perth.. I just did a quick screen-grab of a map and pointed out roughly where I expect we'll be. If you are already in the city, you'll probably find it easiest to get to kings park via Malcolm st or Kings Park Rd (ie from the North). Do not try to take Bellvue Tce, as you will be at the bottom of the cliff while kings park is at the top.

[Image: map.gif]

Look forward to meeting you all there. hmmm.. how many have we got coming now? I'm just bringing me (and perhaps my neighbour who is just getting into a bit of digital photography).

Oh and Jamie, I might be up for tagging along with you later, depending on how the week pans out (and how sick I'll be of taking photos by friday! lol).

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Hi

Jamie, uuhmmm that means that we are not allowed to shot anything in there? uuuhmm where is it? Im also a very new person to Perth.

Could I catch a lift to jamies shoot please?someone? anyone?

Mez join the club! we all new in here...where you from?

Regards

Christian

welcome to the club mary. i too am new to this forum and have never met anyone in here yet. (well, not that i know of.)

i guess the best way to find us would be to look for the bunch of guys and gals with camera bags and tripods all saying hi or hello to each other.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Here is a detailed map of the section of Kings Park in question (which is pretty much encompassed by Adrian's red nuclear blast pattern oval!)

http://www.kpbg.wa.gov.au/bgpa/bgpamaps/...serave.jpg

If you can see the Wishing Well it is the black square directly above that.

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately not on both counts. I'm sure anyone with a point and shoot digital could take snaps during the comp or sneak an SLR in but not sure what security will be like (it is a night club). It is held at Black Betty's in Northbridge. Oh and no on the lift sorry, got a car full already unless the kids stay here if my parents are down in which case yes but you'd need to make your way here which is about as easy as getting to the city for you anyway!

Adam: No cars or bikes, just girls on the catwalk, when we do the calendar they will be posed alongside cars n bikes n stuff depending on what aspect of motorsport they are allocated.

byrt_001 Wrote:Hi

Jamie, uuhmmm that means that we are not allowed to shot anything in there? uuuhmm where is it? Im also a very new person to Perth.

Could I catch a lift to jamies shoot please?someone? anyone?

Mez join the club! we all new in here...where you from?

Regards

Christian

Jamie

time?

Thanks

Errm Kings Park 5-7? Black Bettys 8-Late, maybe 11:30?

Have fun guys!!! I'm soooooo jealous!

Jamie, maybe let them know what you're wearing as well so people know how to spot you. (e..g look out for a guy wearing a black jacket and red cap)

I'm the asian guy with black hair and a camera.

So Adam basically you look like an asian tourist? I mean you're not going to be hard to find in one of Perth's biggest tourist parks Wink

I dunno what I'm wearing yet, I won't get the chance to go home and change after so it could be something more suited to going to a club heh

Big Grin no..no..no.. Jamie... look closer, Adam said he's the asian guy with the BLACK hair and camera. Once you eliminate all the blonde asians, you should have no trouble finding him. Wink Sorry Adam, but you were leaving yourself wide open for that! Tongue

I will be the same guy that appears in my photo in the "get to know you" section... only I'll probably be appearing in colour instead of sepia.

ooo.. my "proper" lens arrived by courier about 20 minutes ago (70-200 f/4L USM). Yaay. I think I'll go for a bike ride around a couple of the local lakes after work and take it with me. I might even take the camera with me too! Big Grin
I just ducked next door and snuck a photo of one of their birds... and yup, the lens seems to work Smile So far so good.

[Image: IMG_0520.JPG]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Your super cool lens has arrived!!! Wonderful! Big Grin

Yes, once you eliminate all the non-black-haired-asians, theres me! Smile

I must be the only one left (holding a camera).

Kombisaurus Wrote:ooo.. my "proper" lens arrived by courier about 20 minutes ago (70-200 f/4L USM). Yaay.

Wooohoo! Congrats Adrian! Don't forget to give us a mini review! Big Grin

So if some strange female with 2 fawn pugs, one husband and a heap of camera gear shows up you'll know that I found the right place...should be fun Smile

adam Wrote:I'm the asian guy with black hair and a camera.

hey, that just about describes me too. Big Grin

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

If Peter and Long come I can hide.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post