Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kodak vs Canon Culture

I have been hanging out in the Digital Camera Reviews Canon Talk forum since I bought my first Canon camera (the A70) a year ago or more. The forum is filled with criticism of Canon and complaints about things not working or broken. There is rarely a positive note (I hope I'm not being unfair).

Recently of course I switched to the Kodak talk forum. Here people just rejoice all the time and show off their photos. The good spirit is downright boring.

Do you think there is a difference in the cultures of Canon and Kodak users?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Interesting... I can't really comment, but interesting nonetheless...

that is a very interesting observation!!

I can't directly compare Kodak and Canon, but I have found that specific makes of camera do develop their own communities, and their discussion has their own tones. That may simply be because there's enough weight to the forum that it exists without a lot of members crossing over and keeping the discussions similar, or it may have something to do with the brands and marketing themselves.

Kodak markets themselves as easy-to-use and approachable; this may be reflected in the people who use them.

One of the best forums I've found -- in the same league as Shuttertalk, but much smaller -- is specifically dedicated to Sony cameras. I'm still quite active (including running the photo challenges there) even though I've barely used my Sony cam since I bought my DSLR.

I think it's the different people.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

It may have something to do with the sheer size of the Canon forums over there.

Personally I don't really like the forums there.

Much better here Smile

Canon stuff.

I didn't realize there was brand other than Nikon? Big Grin

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Thanks guys for you comments.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post