Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Late night subway ride

While we mostly have newer-generation subways here in Bucharest, some older ones are still in use on some lines, and despite their age and the tons of noise they make they're quite soothing when they're empty. But, God, I hate those bars on top, I always hit my head on them!

As always, I'm open to any suggestions! Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! The only thing I see is that it seems a little bit tilted when you look at the end of the photo in the center. Makes me feel a little off balance...love the scene though! :0)

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

This photo tells us something when we grow old. I'm a fan of this kind of mood shot. Amazing! Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

This is a brightly colored departure from the usually gloom in subway shots. Very interesting.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Great shot. It reminds me of the game Half-Life. Did you know that the designer of the game was born in Eastern Europe?
I believe the slight tiltness (is this a word?) contributes to the overall mood. I would like to see some more shots, in color. Maybe include one of two of our compatriots. Smile

Thanks everybody for your thoughts!

@Barbara: I don't know why, but most of my photos come out crooked! In this case, I think the angle helped with the photo's mood. Might be just me, though.

@PhotoPlay, Don: Thanks!

@Vlad: Haha, that's exactly what I thought! Some parts of Romania actually look exactly like HL2, it's crazy. Honestly, though, I don't know why, but I'm reluctant when it comes to taking other people's photo, I prefer stuff like these.

I feel like photographing people is the next level, at least in terms of difficulty.

Yeah, and in most cases it feels really awkward to me, I don't know why.

(May 21, 2013, 04:57)kNox Wrote:  While we mostly have newer-generation subways here in Bucharest, some older ones are still in use on some lines, and despite their age and the tons of noise they make they're quite soothing when they're empty. But, God, I hate those bars on top, I always hit my head on them!

I like this shot. It "says" many things as a good photo should.

I would like to see more photos of Romania, especially of people, street activity, shops, buildings, etc. Romania is a country I know very little about, and one that I would like to visit. Please take more photos.

Thank you,

Tom G

Okay then, since you asked so nice tonight I'm going to start editing some of my other photos and post them here. Smile

(May 27, 2013, 04:06)Tom G Wrote:  
(May 21, 2013, 04:57)kNox Wrote:  While we mostly have newer-generation subways here in Bucharest, some older ones are still in use on some lines, and despite their age and the tons of noise they make they're quite soothing when they're empty. But, God, I hate those bars on top, I always hit my head on them!

I like this shot. It "says" many things as a good photo should.

I would like to see more photos of Romania, especially of people, street activity, shops, buildings, etc. Romania is a country I know very little about, and one that I would like to visit. Please take more photos.

Thank you,

Tom G

Hi, Tom!
If you're interested in Romania, you could also check out my photos. you can find some of them on the forum, or here www.fotonoir.ro and here http://badorgood.com/membri/voyeur/fotografii
I just recently moved to Spain, so all of the photos I took till 2 months ago are from Romania.

I definitely feel Vlad captures the essence of Romania - although sometimes it's gloomier, the feeling behind the photos is almost always spot on. Smile

Great photo, great subject. I'd love to do something like this, but they don't have anything like this in England, apart from in London.

It might just be me, but it doesn't quite look straight (looking at the front pole). However, I'm being over picky!

Also, I perhaps would have tried to include the whole door on the left hand side, just for continuity.

An olympus E-500, and a lot of crazy ideas.
http://www.dailywanders.blogspot.com

(May 28, 2013, 10:58)Beckylouise Wrote:  Great photo, great subject. I'd love to do something like this, but they don't have anything like this in England, apart from in London.

It might just be me, but it doesn't quite look straight (looking at the front pole). However, I'm being over picky!

Also, I perhaps would have tried to include the whole door on the left hand side, just for continuity.

But Becky, there are double decker busses which should be a very good venue, and even the older trains that run east/west across the country. I might suggest using your 4s or 5 iPhone, both of which have a very good lens and plenty of pixels. I've had lottsa luck with it. And shooting with an iPhone is definitely not as suspicious looking as with a real camera

(May 28, 2013, 11:06)Tom G Wrote:  
(May 28, 2013, 10:58)Beckylouise Wrote:  Great photo, great subject. I'd love to do something like this, but they don't have anything like this in England, apart from in London.

But Becky, there are double decker busses which should be a very good venue, and even the older trains that run east/west across the country. I might suggest using your 4s or 5 iPhone, both of which have a very good lens and plenty of pixels. I've had lottsa luck with it. And shooting with an iPhone is definitely not as suspicious looking as with a real camera

I only have a 3GS though, it came free on contract! Unfortunately, the buses that run through our city are in good condition! Ahh well, I'll find something eventually!

" Unfortunately, the buses that run through our city are in good condition! "

Well, there's something you don't hear every day! Big Grin

(May 29, 2013, 00:56)kNox Wrote:  " Unfortunately, the buses that run through our city are in good condition! "

Well, there's something you don't hear every day! Big Grin

Well, you can have too much of a good thing!

My eye gets my attention when I see things not so ordinary. Maybe it is just to immune to see things everyday over and over again. But changing it perspective and view will definitely change my attention. I've seen a lot of empty train shot but I've seen a few train shot with long perspective like this. Seeing and saying the car is really empty from its view. Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

I don't see much that can be improved with this photo. Wonderful sense of depth that draws me into the photo. I like the balances in the photo, the red seats and the red graffiti. I end up thinking about how the graffiti artists chose red to go with the decor. The seats are in pristine condition, the car is clean and the graffiti is sloppy, a wonderful contrast. Some of the windows are dark, some are lighted. My imagination goes places and I think about the riders and those who work to keep the subway clean. I even think of the great battle of good and evil, order and chaos. Nice work!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jjford43
Aug 14, 2016, 00:00
Last Post by Jocko
Aug 5, 2016, 11:51