Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lens Assembly Video

Here's a link I picked up, with a series of videos showing the assembly of a Canon 500mm f4L USM lens. It gives me a new appreciation for what goes into the gear we use.

http://web1.canon.jp/camera-museum/tech/...index.html

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Why can't they make one on disassembly, thankfully I've had dead lenses to use as guinea pigs but man there are so many screws in these things!

[Image: lensdisassembly.JPG]

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Hahahah rabid!!!

You can disassemble a lens from about 3 feet.

I suppose it depends on the amount of disassembly you want.

My Flickr page

StudioJ Wrote:You can disassemble a lens from about 3 feet.
You sound like you know from experence . That would suck !

interesting videos ! thanks for the link

..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

In my experience, a flash can be partially disassembled from just a foot or two above concrete...

Thanks, BD, I'm glad you enjoyed them. Hopefully you don't have the nightmares of the voiceover guy saying "Canon five hundred millimeter eff-four elle eye-ess you-ess-em lens" like I did. It could have been worse, though -- it might have been a video for the Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G VR IF-ED Nikkor Zoom, or the Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF).

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Oh God...:| The videos would have been twice as long.

My Flickr page

matthew Wrote:"Canon five hundred millimeter eff-four elle eye-ess you-ess-em lens"
Make it STOP !!!!! Big Grin

love how you spelled it all out LOL .......

........Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I wonder what happens to rejected lenses. (this thought has no relevence to anything)

My Flickr page

RP, that's an intriguing question. I've briefly worked in two different production facilities, one of which made cheap things and scrapped any that fell outside tolerances, and one that made expensive things and reworked parts that could be salvaged. I suppose it depends on what the fault is, what stage it's identified at, and if any salvaged parts can be re-introduced to the production line without causing more disruption than it's worth.

Like a friend of mine once said about a particular teams chances in a soccer match, "The ball is round, it could go either way..."

Interesting... I know for some computer parts, the factory rejects often get sold by weight to distributors, who flog it off as "refurbished" or "overstock" items at discounted rates. I wonder if they do the same for camera parts? I suppose with optics, there is such little margin for error, and it would be against the manufacturer's interests to release inferior products into the field - it would hurt their brand name too much.

Lol @ rabidpenguin.. Big Grin

If we ever see Digital SLRs for sale in Crazy Clarks, we'll know what happens to the rejected stuff :p

My Flickr page

I was thinking the same thing about rejected stuff , but i would think that all they have to do is " remelt " the glass ( if that is the problem ) . and the rest of the stuff can be replaced with the good stuff LOL ...

Maybe it would be worth asking Canon?

...... Shawn

Actually, if I were Canon, i'd use the failed ones to teach newbie techs with. Rather than have them screw up good ones Wink

My Flickr page

A guy I know decided to "fix" his Canon 100-400L IS lens. For anyone who doesn't know the lens - you zoom it with a push pull action. The action was grinding something a little bit. Figuring it was some grit he thought he would open it and clean it upSmile

Of course, he hadn't bargined on the hundreds of tiny ball bearings that Canon uses to facilitate the push pull action - they went everywhereBig Grin

After collecting them all he realised that they must use some kind of special rig to put it all together at the factory. So he sent it all off to Canon for a rather expensive repair job.

Canon stuff.

:/Ouch.

My Flickr page

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Of course, he hadn't bargined on the hundreds of tiny ball bearings that Canon uses to facilitate the push pull action - they went everywhereBig Grin
That sounds like one of those moments that lets small children expand their vocabulary. Just reading about it gives me that sinking feeling.

I can't imagine doing that to a Canon one-hundred to four-hundred eff-four to eff-five-point-six elle eye-ess you-ess-em lens... Big Grin

matthew Wrote:Canon one-hundred to four-hundred eff-four to eff-five-point-six elle eye-ess you-ess-em lens... Big Grin
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big GrinBig Grin:o:o:o

....... Shawn

I think i'm developing a twitch when i hear/read that... :/

My Flickr page

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post