Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lens Suggestions for Low Light Concerts..

So- I have a Canon 300d and was curious if anyone could give me any suggestions as to a good lens to purchase that would be helpful in shooting in low light (especially shows/concerts) and was in a slightly decent price range, of course!

Thanks guys Smile

Welcome aboard, Panda - you are asking some good questions. Hopefully one of the Canon guys on the forum can jump in with some advice for you...

Canon 50mm f1.8 around £70-90 sterling, or 50 mm f1.4 .
On the other hand, it depends what you consider a slightly decent price range. Smile
I have the 50 mm on a 350D and I like it. Some times I wish it was a little longer, like 600mm. Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing the distance you're photographing from and the budget that you consider reasonable. The classic suggestion, I suppose, is the 50mm f/1.8 – it's a surprisingly good lens considering that it's one of least expensive ones Canon has ever made. Another option, more expensive but equally good value, would be the 85mm f/1.8. Climbing higher in the price range, there's the 70-200mm f/4L, which is an exceptional lens for under $700.

The nice thing about lenses is that the cheap ones perform very well with some limitations, but if you're willing to spend the money then there are some exceptional options. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I have a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 that I used on my 300D with great results... however, that lens is $750 or so....

The Canon 50mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens for the money, but somewhat limited in it's uses.

EnglishBob Wrote:The Canon 50mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens for the money, but somewhat limited in it's uses.
It takes photo's. How is that limited. Big Grin
You have got to use your legs a lot more. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:
EnglishBob Wrote:The Canon 50mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens for the money, but somewhat limited in it's uses.
It takes photo's. How is that limited. Big Grin
You have got to use your legs a lot more. Wink
Exactly, it has yet to make me a coffee or buy me a beer... very limited!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post