Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Light Field Camera - Lytro

Hey guys, I'm a bit wary after the invisible camera, but this one looks interesting. Apparently Lytro are out to produce a light field camera, which somehow captures the "light field" of the scene.

Quote:Recording light fields requires an innovative, entirely new kind of sensor called a light field sensor. The light field sensor captures the color, intensity and vector direction of the rays of light. This directional information is completely lost with traditional camera sensors, which simply add up all the light rays and record them as a single amount of light.
http://blog.lytro.com/

Quote:By substituting powerful software for many of the internal parts of regular cameras, light field processing introduces new capabilities that were never before possible. Sophisticated algorithms use the full light field to unleash new ways to make and view pictures.
One of the applications you can try out on their site is the manipulation of focal points after the picture is taken - so you can focus on the background or the object in the foreground. Apparently there could be potentially an expanded depth of field as well which allows the whole scene to be in focus.

If this is real, then there would be so many ramifications for digital photography - imagine sitting in photoshop tweaking curves and contrast in addition to adjusting focal planes and areas as well to get the best subject isolation.

Rufus apprised me of this yesterday..and I confess my initial reaction was exactly the same as yours in terms of a possible scam. I wonder what processing power our next pc would be having to run...? My boat is not floating quite yet I feel.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hey, just thought I'd share that this has actually made it to production, and will be shipping early 2012, starting at $399.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/lytro...ld-camera/

Quote:Within the anodized aluminum frame, the consumer-friendly camera totes an f/2, 8x zoom lens which utilizes an 11-mega-ray light-field to power all that infinite focus magic. It's instant-on and the rubber back-end wields only two physical buttons: one for shutter and the other for power. The company's added the ability to change the focus on-camera, a task accomplished via its touchscreen glass display.

It'll ship in two versions: the $399 8GB flavor can hold 350 pictures, and comes in graphite or blue, followed by a $499 16GB model, which sports an electric-red finish and stores up to 750 images. Pre-orders go live at Lytro's website today, and will ship in early 2012 on a first-come first-serve basis. The company has several on-hand today, though, so stay tuned for our hands-on!

I don't see an evf or optical vf Sad

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Exciting technology. When it gets into a *real* camera, it will be compelling.

NT73 Wrote:I don't see an evf or optical vf Sad
It mentions a touchscreen glass dislplay, I assume this will work similar to LCD screens on compacts...

Probably no optical or electronic viewfinder though. Big Grin

Very interesting details on how the camera actually works - interview with the Lytro CEO, Ren Ng.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7237351...ith-ren-ng

Quote:'The microlenses separate the rays of light just before it hits the sensor. It records that information so that it retains all the directional information. We can then imagine if the sensor was nearer or further back from the subject, which is effectively what focusing is, then re-calculate where those rays would have been projected to.'

This technique not only allows images to be recalculated with different focus points, it also means the lens of the camera doesn't need to be focused on a single point. And this has a great advantage for a point-and-shoot camera, Ng explains: 'We don't have to focus when you take the shot. There's no moving motors, which allows an instant shutter.'
Wow, now that's literally point and shoot - no focusing / focus lag! Big Grin

I have to admit that if they were accepting pre-orders from outside of America then I'd already have my name on the list.

(But I do wonder how they'll fare in a world where most people who use a camera (that's not built into their phone) still aren't clear on how to resize their jpg images.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Do you suppose that its possible to take a photo with everything in focus?

Toad Wrote:Do you suppose that its possible to take a photo with everything in focus?
I'm not sure but I doubt it. It still uses lenses internally, and all lens arrays have compromises so I'm sure there will be some minimum / maximum "focusing" distances that will apply. I picture it being in my head being able to adjust the manual focus ring on my my SLR lens, but after the photo is taken. I'm sure it'll become clearer (pun intended) once it makes it into people's hands.

News from the Lytro booth at CES:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1942514...-photowalk

Interesting with regards to how it operates:

Quote:In standard mode, the camera's lens is set to the equivalent of the hyperfocal distance in conventional photography (the closest point of focus that renders objects at infinity as acceptably sharp). For instance, at wideangle, it captures a depth of field of approximately 4 inches to infinity, and the final image allows re-focusing at all points in between.

The Advanced Light Field mode, (as it currently exists) prompts the camera to phyically refocus its lens closer than this, centering the depth of field in your shot around your specified focus point. When this image is refocused on the camera screen or on your computer, the focus can be shifted around that specified point, but not out to infinity. For example if you focus on a subject's eyes, you will, depending on the focal length, be able to shift the focus between their ears and nose.
Kinda like normal mode and macro mode, I suppose...

Lytro has hit mass production although it is still backordered. Nevertheless, Wired have published an interesting review.
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/02/lytro-camera/all/1

Some of the comments are questionable - e.g. the need to consider placement of subjects/objects to maximise the novelty of lytro photos, but others are more substantial. They claim that it feels more like a 1.0 product - poor button placement, tiny touchscreen and fiddly controls.

Cool concept though still... I wonder how long before lytro licence their tech to be used in iPhones?

(Feb 29, 2012, 21:16)shuttertalk Wrote:  I wonder how long before lytro licence their tech to be used in iPhones?

Good idea. That is probably exactly where this sort of novelty technology belongs.

OK...Maybe I'm being a bit unfair.

When the transistor radio first came out, everyone who used one was amazed at how a (todays mobile phone sized) radio could compete with a large valve set for listening.
There were plusses and minuses as I remember. The speaker was a 1.5 inch diameter squeaking wonder (not comparing it with anything , as there was nothing to compare it with then), but improved with earphones. (also in their infancy) Volume and Tuning was done with little plastic wheels (potentiometers) set in the side and you had to have a steady finger to find the station. No Am or Fm in those days. But over a few years different manufacturers improved everything about it.
I suppose the Lytro could go the same way.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Dpreview weighs in with their comments:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

Pretty much the same although they look more favourably upon the interface, saying it is well thought out and makes a complex concept simple.

One thing I previously overlooked - the output image is only 1080x1080 which is around 1.2 MP... so don't think about making prints. That said, their primary medium to showcase the technology is the web - i.e. you can only manipulate the focus points using a online software thingy - so I suppose it is acceptable.

http://gizmodo.com/5890028/lytro-light-f...feels-like

I like how one of the commentators said "It's a camera made for facebook." Seems quite controversial, thoughts?

Its an interesting, but immature technology - more of a gimmick at this point than a real photographic tool. For quick snaps (i.e. Facebook) with no requirement to print, it actually might work quite nicely.

I'll be interested in seeing if this technology can be enhanced to be licensed to *real* camera manufacturers.

Hi Scottbad, I hope you don't mind but I merged your topic in to this one so that all the discussion is kept in one place...

(Mar 6, 2012, 21:23)shuttertalk Wrote:  Hi Scottbad, I hope you don't mind but I merged your topic in to this one so that all the discussion is kept in one place...

By all means! Forgot to do a search!

(Mar 6, 2012, 11:27)Toad Wrote:  Its an interesting, but immature technology - more of a gimmick at this point than a real photographic tool. For quick snaps (i.e. Facebook) with no requirement to print, it actually might work quite nicely.

I'll be interested in seeing if this technology can be enhanced to be licensed to *real* camera manufacturers.

I agree. Give it a few years and see what happens.

(Oct 19, 2011, 19:09)Toad Wrote:  Exciting technology. When it gets into a *real* camera, it will be compelling.

I need a camera of nature photography. Please tell me a reliable brand and good source to purchase it

Can you make prints with this? You have use a computer to see the images.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Feb 16, 2013, 03:02)Adormi Wrote:  
(Oct 19, 2011, 19:09)Toad Wrote:  Exciting technology. When it gets car navigation system into a *real* camera, it will be compelling.

I need a camera of nature photography. Please tell me a reliable brand and good source to purchase it

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post