Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Macro Bugs Etc

As I mentioned in the Wedding Anniversary thread, I recently aquired a 2x converter from Noisynoodle.
As a result I am a now slightly obsessed with trying to capture the finest details on the smallest objects I can find. Please bear in mind these images have been reduced at least 50% for easy net viewing.

It took a while but I eventually found a garden fly willing to sit and pose.

[Image: IMGP2247edit.jpg]

I then harrassed a "daddy long legs" spider. (Are these common everywhere or only in Australia???)

[Image: IMGP2191edit.jpg]

And finally for something not so hideous, the smallest flowers I could find in the garden. (I have no idea what kind of flower this is...)

[Image: IMGP1992crop.jpg]

All taken with Pentax DS, Sigma 28-80mm (at 80mm in macro mode), with vivitar 2x converter (manual focus, exposure, etc.)

All feedback, critique appreciated.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Gosh smarti.......... detail central right there :| amazing shots!

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

great shots , love the detail .. We have Granddaddy long legs here , but not sure if they are the same spider . Never got that close to one LOL

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

woooww that fly so much details is great

you must come to australia to the outback you will find a lot millions of nice flies. yuck i still can not get use to it

Another view of spider...

[Image: daddy.jpg]

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Wonderful! The riches of the earth. But spooky.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

wow I like these Smarti.........I think the fly is just fantastic with all its detail. Your converter is serving you well.

The sider is not the "daddy long legs" I know, hmmmmm I will have to check that out. He looks more like one of the "huntsman" family.

Anyway I think they are great shots!!

PS
with this macro and now the assignment I am going to have to try and find Kombi's post on reversing the 50mm prime.

That's nasty, but very detaild macro shots! Wink

We don't make mistakes, We make discoveries!

okay, I'm just going to be a big girlie girl here and say
EEEEWWWWW!! thats way too much detail for my liking thanks :o
But the flowers are pretty Tongue

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Russt Wrote:The sider is not the "daddy long legs" I know, hmmmmm I will have to check that out. He looks more like one of the "huntsman" family.
Russt - Definately not a huntsman (these are tiny things with rediculously long thin legs). I'd be interested in someone else taking a macro of a 'daddy long legs' as they know it and I bet it looks like this ones brother...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Lovely shots Smarti... beautiful sharp detail. Smile

And that looks to me like a daddy long legs and not a huntsman (which are big thick and furry), I did a quick google and found the following links:

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/hu...piders.htm
http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/features/s...ngLegs.asp

hmmm.. There might be a difference between males and female daddy long legs though (see the difference in the abdomen?) or a few different species?

Anyway, it was this comment that I found interesting:
"[Daddy Long Legs spiders] Easily kills Redback and Huntsman Spiders coming into its web"

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Quote:Russt - Definately not a huntsman
yep I agree but he has some similar features.......not the legs Big Grin but the body is hairy and the front fangs (if thats the right term) looks a bit like the same family.
Most daddy long legs I know are like the ones in the link that Kombi put up, smooth with no hair and very fragile. I might be wrong but its a type I have not seen. The legs are long!!!!!!!! :/
The daddy long legs has vey small fangs, they are very venomous but harmless to us.........fact?? I dont kinow but its something that I have heard! (opps just read the link......:| )
I spent some time trying to find your spider........unfortunately all I could find under daddy longs legs were like in the above link! Its got me going now Big GrinBig Grin

sorry to take the "focus" off your pics.......off now to google

cheers

Found this link:

Daddy

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

These shots are amazing! The DOF is pretty wide too. How close do you actually have to be for these? What's the minimum and maximum distance? I'm asking because I use en extension tube with a macro lens and I have to be very close to the subject, only the most patient or dead bugs will stay and wait until I'm finished taking pictures.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Most shots I took were about 15cm from the subject (as close as I could focus). He was quite happy to sit and pose perfectly still most of the time. I still instinctively jumped when he moved though...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Quote:Found this link:

Daddy
Smarti, thanks for the link. The closest I could find called it the long body cellar spider. You learn something new everyday! I am just glad those are not the ones round my house.........Big Grin

smarti77 Wrote:As I mentioned in the Wedding Anniversary thread, I recently aquired a 2x converter from Noisynoodle.
Hey Shane......nice to see that 2x doing good work, though I haven't been able to look too closely at this thread because I absolutely can't bear spiders :o . I saw the ones of your wedding rings the other day, too, and thought they were pretty good - great detail on the engraving.

I see there's an argument as to whether one of the above horrors is a "Daddy-long-legs spider"....just to add further to the confusion, here in the UK Daddy-long-legs aren't spiders at all, that's what we call crane flies!

Hope to see more of your macro work....it's nice knowing the converter went to a good home AND getting to see the results!

Jan Smile

Man I can't believe you can see the little specks of stuff on the fly! How awesome!

The little flowers are cool too -- love the DOF!

took this with mobile
didnt have my digi cam on me Sad

[Image: littlespider.jpg]

Kodak Z7590

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post