Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Macros from the forest....

I took this pictures with external flash because it was too dark and with the frog picture was not possible to set the tripod... The first time I use the flash... If you have any critique or advice, it will be welcome... Smile

[Image: IMG_6821-01greenfrog.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6840-01escalera.jpg]

I hope you like them... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:The first time I use the flash...
No way. Really? I'm impressed! Your use of flash is very subtle and natural. Nice catch-light in the frog's eye, too.

Thanks a lot for this comment Mitch... I really was not sure because of the highlights in the mushroom in the background and the contrast in the shadow in the one on focus...

Thanks again... you made my day!! Smile

Paul Cezanne

I like the DOF on the second. The frog also looks great of course. Wink

Considering they are both taken with flash, they are outstanding IMO.
Only when you inspect the frogs eye, can you see darkness in the sky.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks a lot Toad, NT... Smile

I have more taken in the forest with flash... it is great to do it specially when you want to take mushrooms... and in this case I got a frog... I was so happy!! Smile

Paul Cezanne

Great shots Irma, great capture of the frog. I really like the compositio on the mushroom shot!

As for the use of flash, well for being the first time, id say you did very well. (even though im not to keen about ttl frontal flash usage, but thats just me. Tongue)

Thanx for sharing Irma.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Thanks Paul... Smile

I have a wire I conect to the camera and the flash but I haven't worked with it yet... I will give it a try next time I go to the forest... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Irma i do realize that off camera flash isnt often/always practical. But it does really help reducing the harsh shadows.

Looking forward to see your results! So did you get any mushrooms take home ?

/Paul L.

No Paul... I don't know them well... Sad
I rather buy them in the supermarket... Smile
There are a lot, I have to say, and some of them as so cute...
It is just amazing how many things you see and discover when you have a camera in your hands... Smile

About the flash I was thinking that I also have a slave (?) I could use it with a little flash I have... maybe it would be a good idea and less problem with carrying cables to the forest... I will show you my tries... Wink

Paul Cezanne

I like them and your tenacity in tramping through forests to find these shots Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Yes irma if you could use the slave as a fill (wich means it shouldnt produce any shadows) it will work aswell. But often it can be easier to just use one light and to use a little reflector to bounce light back.

Here is an example where a little reflector would have helped to get rid of the shadow on the left.

[Image: rm_2.jpg]

/Paul L.

Thanks Pat for your kind comment... The thing is that our landscape is really very poor... nothing interesting at all... no mountains... no sea... so watterfals... just plain landscape with some trees... with the time I have found that the forest could be a good place for nature pics... Smile

Mind you, I am always a bit scare as we have wild bore and I am not so good at climbing trees... Sad the forest 62, the one I always visit, is a very lonly place... so I keep walking close to the road...

Paul... this is wonerderful!!!

Could you teach me how to do it??

I think I know reflectors but probably don't know well... I usually bounce my light with a box with tin paper but I would love to know how to get the one you used here and how to use it...

Could you help me in this one? Smile

Thanks a lot!!

My flash is just a little one... nothing powerful... would this work as well?

I'll be off... the day is beautiful I will see what I can find today.... Smile

Paul Cezanne

The image shown here is shot with a nikon speedlight on a stand with a 83cm white (transparent, shoot thru) umbrella to diffuse it. Im not using a ttl cable, since i use the speedlight in manual mode (i trigger it with a set of pocketwizard units) and meter it manually with my flash meter. However it will work just aswell with your ttl cable. The diffrence is that camera will meter for you.

In the image i have the umbrella camera right, thus the shadows on the left, a little foamcore sheet or similar could easily work a reflector. And would have lighten up the shadows on the left side.

I have a small lastolite reflector for macro work with a flexible arm.(wich i didnt use in the image shown) But anything you can find in the house that reflects light without coloring it would do nicely.

If you dont have a tilt swivel umbrella holder, i highly recommend you to get one.

I have the manfrotto 026
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3192

but BH have numerous brands making them, sps and photoflex just to name two.

If you dont have or dont want to use a umbrella, you could just take something like foamcore sheet and bounce the flash of it, since you will be using a ttl cable the camera will do the metering for you, all you have to do is to compensate until you get the exposure you want.

In this thread you can see a the setup (even though, in the first series of images iv used a large sb, instead of a 83cm umbrella)
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewto...?pid=42790

The first images where shot with the sb800 and with a large sb (isnt very practical to hike with lol)
Non of these images had a fill/reflector, becuse the larger the light source the softer the light. And with a large sb the light wrap around the subject and procuce only very soft shadows.

so a fill/reflector isnt always needed, but for smaller lightsources like a speedlight without any light modifier it will help alot.

Dont know if my rambling made sense in anway,but lets hope it did. Big Grin

/Paul L.

It worked I think... you will tell me...

It is not the most beautiful mushroom but the only one I have in my garden... I wanted to test first and then to take all to the forest... Smile

I just worked with the umbrella to bounce the light and my little flash in the camera... I have problems with the colors... well... maybe I have to try in other place with more beautiful colors...

Anyway here is my try....

My settings... f18, 1/60 sec, ISO400

Sorry... I couldn't upload the picture... I think we still have the problem to upload pics...

Well then, I will have time to look for a better and more beautiful mushroom...

Thanks so much for your help Paul... you are very kind... Smile

Paul Cezanne

We will just have to talk about the shots that got away, like the fishermen do.Big Grin
I have an absolutely stunning, perfectly composed and brilliantly lit, photo of an architectural masterpiece.
Hope you can imagine it.Big Grin

Cos your'e not gonna see it. NT73 Tongue

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Well im looking forward to see your results.

Forgot to mention two ways of using the flash as a light source.

1.Use the flash as main light, the ambient light if any, will act as fill.
2.Use the flash as fill, wich means it will just soften the shadows produced by the ambient light.

Without a light meter and in ttl mode this takes some testing to achive. Nikon has a ttl/bl mode wich should take in account the background. This mode will get you started, then you just compensate + or - to get the right ratio/balance.

Here is better setup shot with the speedlight and the umbrella.

[Image: setup.jpg]

And a shot of the few mushrooms left in the forest, Zack goes under the name "mushroom crusher", he just love to stamp all over them. .-)

Here i used the flash as main light, in fact the ambient light didnt affect the exposure at all.

[Image: mushrooms.jpg]

/Paul L.

These last ones are wonderful!! Smile

let me see if I can post my picture now...

[Image: 265211914_499a364cdd_o.jpg]

What I didn't like much was the color... I think it was not like that it was more brownish... Sad

Paul Cezanne

Very nice Irma, it looks very natural, given you used iso400 i asume the ambient light where key, and you used the flash as fill.

Looks great.

I must say i like the color, :-) It looks kind of drug mushroom. Big Grin

Did you have a trouble reproducing the actual color, or was it more that you didnt like the original color ?

Thanx for sharing.

/Paul L.

I think the colors were a bit brighter... and the original color doesn't have much contrast... it comes very washed out...

Now looking at your picture I didn't do it well I think... I leaned the umbrella in the grass giving shadow to the place the mushroom was and then I bend the flash to bounce the light in the umbrella.... I had to go f18 because with f8 the picture was too bright... almost blown out... I will try tomorrow... maybe in the forest and I will do as I see your pictures...

Thanks a lot for your help Paul... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Np Irma, just glad if my rambling can be of help. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Fogey
Jul 23, 2017, 23:44
Last Post by Fogey
Jul 23, 2017, 04:03