Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thinking about going Mirrorless

Howdie folks!
I have been shooting with a DLSR for the past 12 years and always loved it. Lately however I see more and more colleagues replacing their DLSR's for mirrorless systemcamera's. And I must say, next to the loss of a lot of weight, costs and space, the quality of their photography is still great! Are mirrorless camera's starting to pass by the DLSR?? For a while I have been saving up for a better DLSR camera, but now I am actually researching to go into a complete new system.
Although Mirrorless comes out as the loser in this article, I think the mirrorless will pass the DLSR very quick in the near future.

Do you guys have any experience with these? What do you think?

I wouldn't hesitate to go mirroless. If Canon brought out a FF mirrorless to replace the EOS 6D I'd get it tomorrow - and only because I have an investment in Canon fit lenses I don't want to loose shedloads on.

I thik you are right about mirroless leapfrogging DSLRs before long. I have a Panasonic GX8 which I use if traveling light and it is superior to a DSLR in almost every respect except sensor size. Th EVF is clear, sharp, and well lit at all times, and of course has the option to show almost anything in the viewfinder you can see on the live view rear screen. The electronic shutter is quiet, and burst tate is high for action work. All in all its what Canon with all their resources should have had a couple of years ago.

I looked at Sony and they are excellent but at present the Sony to EF adapters are not 100% for focusing with my EF lenses. If it was I would have switched by now.

I guess if Canon don't do something serious to replace the EOS 6D very soon, or bring out a full frame mirrorless I will bite the bullet and sell up everything and get a Sony - or whatever suits my needs at that time.

(May 20, 2017, 16:46)dave1712 Wrote:  I wouldn't hesitate to go mirroless.  If Canon brought out a FF mirrorless to replace the EOS 6D I'd get it tomorrow - and only because I have an investment in Canon fit lenses I don't want to loose shedloads on.

I thik you are right about mirroless leapfrogging DSLRs before long.  I have a Panasonic GX8 which I use if traveling light and it is superior to a DSLR in almost every respect except sensor size.  Th EVF is clear, sharp, and well lit at all times, and of course has the option to show almost anything in the viewfinder you can see on the live view rear screen.  The electronic shutter is quiet, and burst tate is high for action work.  All in all its what Canon with all their resources should have had a couple of years ago.

I looked at Sony and they are excellent but at present the Sony to EF adapters are not 100% for focusing with my EF lenses.  If it was I would have switched by now.

I guess  if Canon don't do something serious to replace the EOS 6D very soon, or bring out a full frame mirrorless I will bite the bullet and sell up everything and get a Sony - or whatever suits my needs at that time.
Hi Dave!
Even if Canon brings a FF mirrorless replacement for the 6D you will not be able to use the lens straight forward without adapter, this is due to a smaller flange distance between mount and sensor in the mirrorless system.

For me the Mirrorless is still lacking a couple of things, while the EVF's have gotten much better, I still struggle with them in bright sunlight, especially if wearing glasses.

And I still find the autofocus / shutter to lag very slightly, more than the DSLR's. I am waiting to try the new A9, though reviews so far are showing the fine print to seriously reduce the posted specs, and the use fo flashes with it seems very limited.

I'm going top a presentation by Sony next week-end that will allow me to get my hands on one and fire some test shots.

Mirrorless are evolving amazingly fast.It's incredible what Olympus managed to pull out from a such tiny sensor on their new olympus om-d e-m1 mark ii.I guess once you get rid of that mirror and by using a small sensor you can use that space for systems like 5 axis stabilisation.Still the professional lenses for this systems are very expensive compared wit their counterparts in the FF world.
All in all for me the only advantage i find in the mirrorless systems is the reduced weight,this allowing me to carry a good camera with me all the time, the other benefits does not appeal to me, i doubt it would revolutionize my photography
Cheers!
Robert

Last year I tried a Sony mirrorless APS-C for several months. There were aspects of the EVF that were pleasant to experience but I still generally prefer the real view through a DSLR. Other than the EVF, I liked the tilting screen, but the small light body just didn't gel with me. For the same sensor format, the DSLR just feels better balanced in the hands when similar focal lengths are used, as the lenses tend to dwarf the mirrorless bodies. Therefore I was delighted to exchange the Sony and upgrade to the Pentax K-70; typical of every Pentax it is weather-sealed, its ergonomics are perfect, and it has a fully articulated screen. I also have a Lumix LX100 compact camera to carry any where and any time. For pursuing my hobby of photography I will be happier to continue using a DSLR until I become too frail to hold it. However, I would have thought that a DSLR with a hybrid viewfinder would be a real hit with many photographers - I hope that they are being developed and will appear soon.

Cheers.
Philip

Mirrors clacking around in a camera and shutters swishing around are noise, which is to say vibration. There's some really interesting slow motion photography of mirror systems and shutters showing how they move.

Frankly, moving parts in a camera strikes me as archaic and obsolete.

But for practical purposes is there any way to tell by looking at an image with our eyes if it was taken DSLR or mirrorless?

If it's a successful image no, but DSLR's still have more images in focus for fast moving action shoots. The Auto focus is still faster, though Mirrorless are closing the gap rapidly.

(May 22, 2017, 23:56)EnglishBob Wrote:  If it's a successful image no, but DSLR's still have more images in focus for fast moving action shoots.  The Auto focus is still faster, though Mirrorless are closing the gap rapidly.

This is a good one..............  I think they do work for the cinematic industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjeCchGRQo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post