Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Medium Format Cameras

Not digital, but cool none the less - anyone have any experience with them? I was thinknig of buying a cheap one to do some large landscapes, but balked a little at the price... I see B&H has some "toy" ones for like $20, might have to add that to my order Smile

Cheers,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Well, Mr Loops,

A friend tried to sell his Pentax 6x7 system in order to go wigital, but was offered peanuts.
It seems that medium and large format are unpopular, and therefore fairly cheap second-paw.
I'd strongly suggest checking out the second-paw prices before buying a new cheapo.

HTH

Cave canem

They are pretty expensive aren't they? My wedding photographer took our pics with two medium formats - one hasselblad and one fuji 645 autofocus one . The Fuji looked interesting - appeared like an overgrown compact. But the photos that came out were very nice.

I think the main attraction would be the negatives and the possibility of enlarging, but the cost of the hardware and quality lenses would be prohibitive to most...

But I guess those toy holga-type cameras could be fun. They have a following of their own...

Well now. My friend, (if I remember correctly), was offered £700 for a Pentax 67, a prism finder, about 4 Pentax lenses and some bits 'n' pieces. Considering this is about £3000 + new, you cant help wondering how much something like a Mamiya C220m would be S/H. About £50 I'd think! :o

Cave canem

OK, it's UK Ebay, but it gives a guide to you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...eName=WDVW

Cave canem

The consumables for medium format are pretty expensive, the shot price is much higher than 35mm. Though I believe there are now some digital backs for medium format cameras.

you can try a lubitel.

the lomo lubitel 166U is pretty cheap. it's 95% plastic, but has "real" aperture control, focusing and shutter speed. it shoots in 6x6 format or a 6x4.5 if you have the mask. many consider this camera to be a toy because of it's plastic construction and it's made by lomo, but don't be fooled, it takes great shots in the right hands.

you may want to try the other toy cameras, e.g. holga, woca, diana and her clones. but these give you very little control over aperture, shutter speed and focusing.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35