Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Memorable slideshows

I've never presented photo slideshows to guests before - I guess the old gather round the slide projector thing was a bit before my time. These days though with technology the way it is, there's no reason that we can't do the same with our digital photos.

This article was pretty interesting - it talked about techniques to create a slideshow that won't bore your audience, and leave them wanting more:
http://www.bravenewtraveler.com/2007/03/...ate-guide/

Most surprising was the - "don't narrate" tip - I always thought narration would add a bit of insight into the photos. I guess you have to toss up whether you want your photos to speak to people, or whether you yourself want to do so. It would depend on the crowd too, methinks...

What about you? Do you ever hold slideshow parties or show them off to friends and family? The closest we have gotten to that is actually playing back amateur footage from our camcorder and everyone having a good laugh. Also, we occasionally show our wedding video to people, which is very professionally done... but my wife always seems to narrate regardless... Big Grin

I have shown a slideshow or two in my day....but my projector finally died and my screen decayed too much.

Digitally, one thing I started doing was to make two or more versions of each photo, adding type subtitles with any info I want to share.
That way I can keep quiet and let the pictures do any needed narration.

I need to research better methods for slideshows since I'm working on a time-lapse project right now.
Right now mine are very simple, just scrolling through a series using ACDSee or running an .exe file made in IrfanView.

I would appreciate any tips on how to make more intricate slideshows.

Hey Keith, I think there are a few proggies you can use to create photo slideshows with animations and music - e.g. Microsoft Photo Story, Picasa, Photoshop elements and many others I'm sure. To be honest I haven't tried them so I can't tell you which one's the best....

I know Don has done quite a few so far - any tips, Don?

Under accessories is 'Windows Movie Maker' which works with photo's video and music (various formats)
It has various transitions and effects you can use. And it is simple to use and is built in to your PC if you are using XP.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Good suggestion NT73, I didn't think of windows movie maker...

I have been experimenting a little. I put the music on first, and then the pics. You can drag them one at a time (stretch the length of time the pic is displayed) in the timeline, to make them fit with the music. I haven't finished anything yet as I run out of pics. Big Grin (never)? yes I did. (Well I never). Rolleyes Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Sorry. I was out of touch for a while because I had to re-do my computer. I used Windows movie maker in Windows ME. I had to use very low res versions of my photos. It made a neat slide show but the images weren't very good. High res images just hung the program up. I bought Nero Photoshow 7. That makes a good slide show but I couldn''t make the conversion to DVD work. I actually use my DVD software to make DVD slide shows. They work fairly well but you can't upload the slideshow to the internet. Now that I converted to Windows XP, i'm going to try Windows movie maker again. I lost Nero Photoshow and can't seem to get it re-install. It says I have the wrong password.

I'm a troubled man.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

'I'm a troubled man.' Is that the password? Big Grin
I had that once with Shuttertalk, when I logged out accidentally.

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by adam
Apr 19, 2005, 04:58