Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Memory Cards - What do you use?

Do you have a preference for a specific type of memory card for use in your digital camera? Do you feel most brands are comparable?

Currently, I look for the cards that are on sale for a really good price. I am using SanDisk brand as of right now and have been pretty pleased with it.

Have any of you had issues with your memory cards? What brand do you use?

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

SanDisk Class 10 is my preferred memory card of choice. This won't stop in a middle of of my video shoot. Some stop if they get to overloaded with the memory and within 3 minutes of time. It's like they're preventing it to overheat. But not SanDisk.

I had this one event coverage where the couple is about to kiss then suddenly it stopped. BOOOMMM I missed that moment. I am blessed coz I still have this second shooter who is always on the hang for special moments. wheww

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

That is a bummer to miss a great shot! Always nice to have a back up photographer - they see things in a different light sometimes and they can give you another avenue when needed in times such as the stop!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Currently using SanDisk as the price is good but never had any problems with any cards I have bought.

Yeah It did. Usually when taking photo I never had any problems with other memory cards. I only see the difference on their class. Class 10 memory card is actually good for video. It never stopped unless you press it to stop but never did try to test it endurance yet.

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

I usually prefer SanDisk memory cards. I have used Kingston but on 2 occasions ended up with a damaged card within a few months. I have a 16GB and a 8GB SanDisk memory card. I have heard the latest fast SD cards are really good though.

I'm not sure If you do notice this but try not format your memory cards in your desktop/mac but instead do it in your Dslr to format the card. I notice that most of my cards before where format using my desktop where get to be damaged in the long run. Either get corrupted or suddenly just drop out from detecting it.

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

Never thought of formatting other than in the device it is going to be used in, and always reformat to clear old images, rather than just deleting.

(Jul 3, 2013, 08:25)PhotoPlay Wrote:  I'm not sure If you do notice this but try not format your memory cards in your desktop/mac but instead do it in your Dslr to format the card. I notice that most of my cards before where format using my desktop where get to be damaged in the long run. Either get corrupted or suddenly just drop out from detecting it.

The ONLY time you want to format a memory card in your computer, is iff you can't format it in your camera.

And, you want to format your card, rather than just delete the images. It refreshes the file allocation table, which can be corrupted by file deletions.

Wall-E

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Aug 12, 2013, 16:22)Wall-E Wrote:  The ONLY time you want to format a memory card in your computer, is iff you can't format it in your camera.

And, you want to format your card, rather than just delete the images. It refreshes the file allocation table, which can be corrupted by file deletions.

Wall-E

Thanks for the Advice Wall E. I keep telling that to my staff years way back every time we get back to our studio and transfer files to our hard drives. Just sharing my experience.

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dave1712
Apr 28, 2016, 12:05
Last Post by lcburns
Mar 6, 2012, 09:44