Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Memory Cards
Question 

I'm looking for a good SD card with a high capacity and speed class. I want something for recording footage at 1080p. What do you recommend?

SanDisk is the one I have always used wether the cheap version (which may or may not be a counterfeit) or the genuine ones. (How can you tell ?) Touch wood, I have not had any fail on me. I use SD type for Panny and whatever it is for Canon. My wife uses the same.

There are a few recommended cards out there, but with cameras using video faster capture is the issue. If the camera captures 30 frames a second and the card only captures 25 then the camera is going to stop a lot, waiting for the card.
I don't use multi-shots so that doesn't apply to me.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Good question Icburns... I personally use Sandisk but looked up the SD association page and they recommend class 4-6 speed for HD to Full HD recording, and class 10 for Full HD recording IF your device supports a high speed bus.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/speed_class/

Then again though I hear the speeds differ between manufacturers so a class 10 from one might not be the same as a class 10 from another...

Thanks for the recommendations.

That's a good link about speed class, just what I was looking for.

10 is the top as far as "Classes" go.

IIRC the 600D is UHS-1 compatible, so something like the SanDisk Extreme Pro would be your fastest/best option. 95MB/s is almost 10x faster than a true "Class 10".

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-UH...833&sr=1-4

Class 6 or better for HD video. SanDisk and Lexar are both solid choices.

Hollleeee shit that's an expensive SD card, but it's a beauty. Most likely 95MB/s is the reading speed and not recording speed. Though I'm sure the writing speed is still faster than most class 10 cards but no way close to 95MB/s writing.

(Mar 3, 2012, 13:31)lcburns Wrote:  Hollleeee shit that's an expensive SD card, but it's a beauty. Most likely 95MB/s is the reading speed and not recording speed. Though I'm sure the writing speed is still faster than most class 10 cards but no way close to 95MB/s writing.

Be as that may, it's still very impressive.

Nah, probably closer to 45MB/s write. It's still astonishingly fast in practice though. I've got the 16GB version, and it's blazing fast.

Apparently its max write speed is 85MB/S. Min or average guaranteed speed is unknown.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dave1712
Apr 28, 2016, 12:05