Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Micro 4/3 does Macro

It's a nothing photo, but it's an interesting story:

[Image: 797681473_wnu9R-L.jpg]

And here's the interesting part:

[Image: 797685345_iRYtM-L.jpg]

From top to bottom, what you're seeing is my Panasonic GH1 with an Olympus FL50 flash attached, on top of a Voigtländer m4/3 to F adapter, Sigma 1.4 telconverter, full set (68mm) of Kenko extension tubes, and a Sigma 180/3.5 Macro lens. The whole assembly is supported on a simple tripod and ballhead - my geared head with twin focusing rails being elsewhere at the moment - and I'm using a Gorillatorch to put enough light on the subject to let me focus. The subject itself is a tray of sand from the local beach.

A couple more photos:

[Image: 797681737_o65Z7-L.jpg]

[Image: 797681631_nm2nX-L.jpg]

These two shots are details from a Canadian 5-cent piece. By my ruler, the '2007' on the coin is less than 7mm across, making the total magnification about 2.75x 'life sized'. And while I can use the exact same lens assembly with my D700, its larger sensor means that it would be photographing double the linear dimensions for four times the surface area, and one-quarter the pixel count if I tried to match this by cropping. Sometimes having a smaller sensor is a significant advantage.

Except for the setup photo, all of these images are uncropped. The last two photos have been converted to monochrome (and then tinted) because it was faster and better than trying to deal with the chromatic aberrations that the 180/3.5 put on all of the specular highlights. The sand was shot at f/11, the other two at f/5.6.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very impressive set-up and results!

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

...nice beaver shot...:|
...and absolutely fascinating to see glass put to the max like this; splendid stuff.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Very interesting post. Its also interesting to see a case made for a smaller sensor that is not just based on camera size.

WOW! I'm speechless dear Matthew Smile This was very interesting and amazing work. But for me too complicated too Smile The results are great, thank you,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Don, I have to admit that I thought of you when I was setting this up. (I may have looked at a couple of microscopes at one point.)

Zig, thanks; I have a couple of other parts of the process to work out - my better tripod, and getting the GH1 to work with my focus-stacking program - but I'm quite satisfied the results so far. It's too bad that the only macro m4/3 lens is a bit of a disappointment...

Toad, it's true - everything has its strengths.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:Don, I have to admit that I thought of you when I was setting this up. (I may have looked at a couple of microscopes at one point.)

Zig, thanks; I have a couple of other parts of the process to work out - my better tripod, and getting the GH1 to work with my focus-stacking program - but I'm quite satisfied the results so far. It's too bad that the only macro m4/3 lens is a bit of a disappointment...

Toad, it's true - everything has its strengths.
You are welcome Matthew, I'm reading and learning too Smile

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I am sorry if I don't give a proper comment on this, Matthew, but I have tried to read about m4/3 system and telling the truth I don't understand much what this is and why is so important nowadays.

I am happy however, that you worked with your camera and you got really impressive macros. I admire very much all details and sharpness.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Mar 1, 2018, 03:37
Last Post by Casey1721
Aug 22, 2017, 02:09